Saturday, May 4, 2024

UCLA men’s volleyball gears up for final two regular season matches

Senior outside hitter Ethan Champlin sprawls to the ground for a dig. After four years with the program – including two First Team All-American selections and potentially a third this year – Champlin will play his final game in Pauley Pavilion on Saturday. (Zimo Li/Daily Bruin)

Men's Volleyball

Concordia University Irvine
Thursday, 7 p.m.

CU Arena
Team 1 Sports
Concordia University Irvine
Saturday, 7 p.m.

Pauley Pavilion
Pac-12 Los Angeles

By Connor Dullinger

This weekend will present a conundrum for the Bruin faithful – looking forward or savoring the present.

For the former, after this weekend’s contests, the Bruins will have a chance to repeat as conference champions.

But for the latter, Saturday marks the team’s last appearance in Pauley Pavilion in 2024.

No. 2 UCLA men’s volleyball (20-4, 9-1 MPSF) will face Concordia University Irvine (6-16, 0-10) for its final two matches of the regular season – the latter of which will serve as a celebratory farewell for graduating seniors. The Bruins – who will potentially have the No. 1 seed – will commence their campaign in the MPSF tournament on Apr. 18.

“I’m excited to play the last match of the year at Pauley and I’m excited to send our seniors off with a well-played match; that’s our goal,” said coach John Speraw. “We want to finish off the regular season strong, and to be playing good volleyball at the end of the year.”

UCLA is entering this weekend’s doubleheader off a nine-match win streak overall and a 17-match win streak for regular season home MPSF games.

Contrarily, Concordia is riding on an 11-match losing streak – the team is yet to win against an MPSF foe. Although the Eagles are entrenched in the cellar of the conference, they will have a shot at gathering steam prior to next week’s championships.

The Bruins – who currently hold the top seed in the conference after besting No. 3 Grand Canyon, and have at least one win against every other MPSF opponent – find themselves on the flip.

In addition to occupying the conference’s top position, the Bruins lead the conference in several statistical categories. They are ranked first in both hitting percentage and aces per set, at .367 and 1.96, respectively.

Despite prominence across multiple statistical categories, the Bruins slate in at sixth in digs – second-lowest in the conference.

Senior outside hitter Ethan Champlin said defensive showing will be the team’s point of focus going forward, adding that the Bruins’ current lack of prowess in the department could be a product of aggressive serving.

“This could have to do with our serving and having more aces and fewer opportunities for digs,” Champlin said. “But we need to increase our level on defense and that comes with effort and attention to detail.”

The Bruins will guarantee themselves the No. 1 seed in the MPSF tournament with back-to-back wins against Concordia. A successful MPSF tournament run can grant UCLA a favored entry into the NCAA tournament – mimicking the start of what became a title-winning season last year.

“We have put ourselves in a great position in the NCAA tournament, whether we win the conference tournament or not,” Champlin said. “However, we can definitely get some momentum for NCAA’s from winning the tournament and it is always great to not put another loss on the team’s record.

Speraw is not the only one who will cherish the season’s final moments in Pauley Pavilion – Saturday will mark the last appearance at the revered stadium for his departing players.

Champlin, who will be playing volleyball overseas after his final season at UCLA, said Saturday will be sentimental.

“I definitely don’t want to take anything for granted and want to enjoy the moment and not let it pass me by,” Champlin said. “These last four years have gone by so fast and I am going to miss so many guys here and the relationships I have made with people all around the program.”

Connor Dullinger