Thursday, May 2, 2024

Despite series victory over Oregon State, UCLA softball drops Sunday matchup

Redshirt senior infielder Seneca Curo swings the bat. (Stella Carr/Daily Bruin)

Softball

Oregon State1
Oregon State2
Oregon State1

By Felicia Keller

The Bruins won the series but lost their first game to the Beavers since 2017.

No. 12 UCLA softball (22-9, 8-3 Pac-12) picked up a 1-0 loss at Oregon State (16-21, 4-8) on Sunday following 6-1 and 5-2 wins Friday and Saturday, respectively. The Bruins snapped a 17-game winning streak against the Beavers that began after a series loss seven years ago.

UCLA’s lineup mustered just two hits and three walks Sunday, stifled by pitcher Logan Hulon after combining for 15 hits and four home runs in the first two games of the weekend.

“The pitcher (Hulon) was effective. They out-hit us, and that’s the way the game goes,” said coach Kelly Inouye-Perez. “But we had opportunities. We definitely had opportunities to be able to get on the board or win that game, and we just didn’t come through in those critical situations.”

The Beavers’ sole run of the day came in the fourth inning after a string of singles loaded the bases. The fifth single of the inning gave Oregon State its lead and chased starter sophomore Taylor Tinsley out of the circle.

“Today wasn’t her day, but to give up one run, I think that this offense is capable of being able to have her back for at least one run and tie up that ball game,” Inouye-Perez said.

Freshman pitcher Kaitlyn Terry was sent in with the bases loaded, and she picked up two outs, including a strikeout – ending the inning without allowing more runs.

Two days prior, Tinsley got the start and went the distance, picking up a career-high 12 strikeouts across 24 batters faced.

“She’s pitched some big games, she’s been able to come up with some big wins,” Inouye-Perez said. “She’s done a great job of being able to compete, keep us in ballgames, giving us chances to win.”

On the offensive side, sophomore infielder Jordan Woolery and redshirt senior catcher Sharlize Palacios both recorded home runs in the series opener. Palacios’ ninth home run of the year tied redshirt senior shortstop Maya Brady for the team lead.

Graduate student outfielder Jadelyn Allchin opened up the scoring on Saturday with a home run.

Redshirt senior infielder Seneca Curo – who had a .194 batting average heading into the weekend – buried her first home run of the season, and fifth in her career, putting the Bruins up 3-0 the following frame.

“We’re always super happy any time we can put runs up on the board, so not just for me, but I was just happy to help the team any way that I could,” Curo said. “I could feel that they were happy for me overall, so I’m just happy that I was able to help the team any way that I could.”

Curo, who went 2-for-3 on the day, recorded her second two-hit performance of the season. Her second hit of the day pushed the eventual fourth run of the game into scoring position.

Palacios said Curo looked locked in all game.

“Seneca deserves that,” Palacios said. “She works super hard, and it was just nice to see her kind of light up like that.”

Now halfway through Pac-12 play, the Bruins sit second in the conference standings.

Felicia Keller
Keller is a 2023-2024 assistant Sports editor on the men’s soccer, swim and dive, women’s water polo, and softball beats. She was previously a contributor on the swim and dive and women’s water polo beats and a contributor in the News and Photo sections. She is also a second-year sociology student.