Saturday, May 4, 2024

Katelyn Rosen’s celebrations reflect confidence in first year of UCLA gymnastics

Freshman Katelyn Rosen bows after a vault routine. (Myka Fromm/Photo editor)

By Genevieve Trimbell

Gymnasts visualize their routines.

A perfect tumbling pass, a vertical handstand, a wobble-free beam series, a stuck landing.

Katelyn Rosen also visualizes before taking to the competition floor. But the freshman isn’t picturing her skills, her landings or even her choreography.

She’s just thinking about what celebration she’ll perform after the routine.

Throwing a bowling ball for a strike after sticking her beam dismount, searching for a home run in the stands after nearly matching her season high on vault or a simple dab after a hit bar routine, Rosen’s celebrations are a far cry from her elite past.

Rosen is a former United States gymnast, and in the more serious, individual-focused elite program, wasn’t able to express her personality as much as she could in NCAA gymnastics.

Now, that personality can shine through.

“Elite is a much more serious atmosphere,” Rosen said. “I always felt like I had to tone down my personality a little bit. … It’s definitely a lot more fun and relaxed in college.”

In her second year as head coach, Janelle McDonald has focused on fostering a strong culture among the Bruins, one that withstands the ups and downs of an NCAA gymnastics season.

She said Rosen’s booming confidence is indicative of the team’s success in achieving such a culture.

“I love the celebrations because what it tells me is that they are absolutely loving the moment,” McDonald said. “They’re proud of what they’re doing, and they’re confident in what they’re doing. That’s exactly what we work for every day.”

Although UCLA finished second and fell short of a Pac-12 championship two weekends ago, Rosen’s two 9.875s and two 9.900s helped propel the Bruins to their highest road score of 2024 and a personal best in the all-around.

It wasn’t just at Pac-12s – Rosen has had a lot to celebrate all season. In her first year as a Bruin, she hit all 41 of her routines, and as the season progressed, her celebrations became increasingly elaborate.

Sophomore Selena Harris said Rosen practices her celebrations the week leading up to meets, debating which ones she should perform that day.

“She’s just so proud to be a Bruin,” Harris said. “At the competition, it just comes out. … That’s her showing you she’s so proud of herself.”

The Bruins have had a somewhat inconsistent season, scoring as low as 196.325 before returning the following week with a 198.550.

But now, when the postseason pressure to win increases as the consequence of defeat becomes the end of the 2024 campaign, Rosen’s celebrations serve as a way to unite the team and rally them up.

“Something we talked about and worked on in the gym is building off of each other’s energy,” Rosen said. “It’s just a different feeling when you go up to salute and your entire team is right there for you. They’ve got your back, screaming their heads off for you.”

Genevieve Trimbell | Sports contributor
Trimbell is currently a contributor on the gymnastics and rowing beats.