Thursday, May 2, 2024

UCLA men’s basketball guard Ilane Fibleuil becomes first to enter transfer portal

UCLA men’s basketball freshman guard Ilane Fibleuil (right) defends against a Lafayette player (left) during the Bruins’ game against the Leopards. Fibleuil entered the transfer portal Tuesday after appearing in 25 games for UCLA this season. (Ella Greenberg Winnick/Daily Bruin staff)

By Joseph Crosby

This post was updated April 2 at 10:05 p.m.

The Bruins have their first portal entrant of the 2024 offseason.

UCLA men’s basketball freshman Ilane Fibleuil entered the transfer portal Tuesday, according to On3 senior national recruiting analyst Jamie Shaw. The French guard was one of four international freshmen – alongside guard Jan Vide, forward Berke Buyuktuncel and center Aday Mara – to join the Bruins’ roster ahead of the 2023-2024 season.

Fibleuil appeared in 25 games this season while never starting and garnering his most minutes early in the campaign. He played 25 minutes against Lafayette in the second game of the season and 18 against Long Island, then reached that 18-minute mark once more at the Maui Invitational against Gonzaga.

By the end of the season, Fibleuil averaged one point and 1.5 rebounds across 6.4 minutes per game. He appeared briefly in UCLA’s final game at the Pac-12 tournament against Oregon.

Fibleuil was often used as a late-game defensive replacement by coach Mick Cronin, who said the freshman had a strong ability to rebound the ball, particularly on the offensive glass.

“Ilane Fibleuil’s going to be as good an offensive rebounder, as a perimeter player, that I’ve coached,” Cronin said at a preseason practice Oct. 6.

However, Fibleuil was rarely used in the latter part of the season, only garnering double-digit minutes twice during conference play. The freshman received some flak from Cronin following the Bruins’ game against Stanford on Jan. 3 after being removed for a turnover.

“That’s on him, not me,” Cronin said following the Bruins’ six-point home loss to the Cardinal. “I tell them all, it’s hard. So you can quit and go home, or make an excuse and transfer like 1,900 guys. (Or) you get better, you look in the mirror.”

Fibleuil subsequently played for 12 and 10 minutes in the following two games, recording six and four rebounds against California and Utah, respectively.

Should Fibleuil end up at another program, UCLA will gain another scholarship that could go toward any incoming transfers. The Bruins have yet to make a splash of their own in the portal but will have ample opportunity as it remains open until May 1.

As for the rest of UCLA’s roster, sophomore guard Dylan Andrews and junior guard Lazar Stefanovic have both publicly confirmed their returns for the 2024-2025 season, while Mara and sophomore forward/center Adem Bona have not announced their decisions regarding the 2024 NBA Draft.

Joseph Crosby | Sports editor
Crosby is the 2023-2024 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and NIL beats. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the baseball and women's golf beats. He is also a fourth-year statistics student.