Three perfect 10s lead UCLA gymnastics to third-best team score in program history

Selena Harris salutes after her bars routine at Pauley Pavilion. The sophomore recorded her first career perfect 10 on bars Saturday. (Eden Yu/Daily Bruin Staff)

By Samantha Garcia

This post was updated March 16 at 5:47 p.m.

It takes some gymnasts years to earn a 10.0.

It took Selena Harris only two rotations to hit perfection twice Saturday. 

The sophomore led No. 11 UCLA gymnastics to defeat No. 27 Clemson 198.550-196.825 on Senior Day at Pauley Pavilion. Harris recorded a career-high 39.900 in the all-around, tying the second-best mark in program history, while the Bruins recorded their highest team score since the start of the coach Janelle McDonald era, and third-highest in program history to close out the regular season in style.

“We went in there like, ‘this momentum is not stopping,’” Harris said. “That was our goal before we even stepped into the arena, so I think we did a great job of keeping the ball rolling.”

But Harris wasn’t the only Bruin to reach perfection Saturday. 

Senior Chae Campbell ended the Pauley Pavilion floor party with a perfect 10 – her first since 2022 – to secure the highest floor-and-rotation score since McDonald took over with a 49.775.

Graduate student Margzetta Frazier, who made her 2024 debut on floor, scored a career-high 9.975 in her final floor routine at home.

Graduate student Margzetta Frazier competes her floor routine at Pauley Pavilion on Saturday. Frazier recorded a career-high 9.975 in her final-ever routine in Westwood. (Eden Yu/Daily Bruin Staff)

“I had to dig really deep, and I had to remind myself that my reason for coming back wasn’t all about gymnastics,” Frazier said. “The reason I could do that floor routine today was because of the girls, they are behind my back, they had my back and they were behind me every step of the way.”

It all goes back to the start – in which the Bruins improved on every event score throughout the meet.

To kick off the day, the Bruins recorded a close-to-season-best vault rotation with Harris sticking her third perfect 10.0 vault of the season. 

A career-high 9.925 from freshman Paige Anastasi, who was a last-minute addition to compete, and a trio of 9.850s from freshman Katelyn Rosen, graduate student Nya Reed and Campbell led to UCLA’s second-highest vault score this season with a 49.475. 

With two falls on bars from the Tigers, the Bruins led by 0.775 after the first rotation – a lead UCLA would hold for the entirety of the meet. 

But then, Harris did it again.

Earning her second perfect 10.0 of the day and her first on bars, the Las Vegas local closed the Bruins’ season-high 49.625 bars rotation. 

“I see routines that are 10 worthy consistently in the gym, and so for her (Harris) to be able to put it out here on the competition floor was amazing to see,” McDonald said. “And to do it on such a special night for our team was incredible. It’s just a testament that when you put in the work, the results will come.”

On Senior Day, all graduating athletes in the rotation – senior Frida Esparza, Frazier and Campbell – snagged a 9.900 or higher on the event. 

Bouncing back from counting two falls on beam last week, UCLA earned a season-high 49.675 as the team score continued to climb. 

NCAA history would have to wait, however, as Harris fell short of her third perfect 10.0 to notch a 9.950 on the apparatus. 

Three Bruins scored above 9.900, while junior Emma Malabuyo – who has missed three out of UCLA’s four meets attempting to qualify for the 2024 Paris Olympics – earned a season-high 9.975 on beam. 

Junior Chae Campbell poses after her final pass on floor. Campbell ended the meet with a perfect 10 on floor in her first appearance on the event since January. (Michael Gallagher/Daily Bruin)

And to close off the Bruins’ final rotation, Campbell flaunted her first perfect 10 of 2024, evoking tears from the senior on floor to close out the historic Senior Day meet.

“For that to be my first routine back meant the world and for it to be in this moment – my senior year – it’s just so special,” Campbell said. “I love this place and there’s nothing better than getting a 10 in Pauley.” 

After recording a more than two-point increase in team score – compared to UCLA’s 196.325 against Arizona State last week – Campbell added that the Bruins were looking for personal retribution to close the regular season.

“We were a little angry after last week, to be honest,” she said. “We came in really determined to kill it this week.”

And kill it, they did.

Samantha Garcia | Sports contributor
Garcia is currently a contributor on the gymnastics and softball beats.