Thursday, May 9, 2024

UCLA men’s tennis showcases resilience amid doubles losses in fall to TCU

Senior Jorge Plans Gonzalez hits a backhand at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. Plans Gonzalez notched UCLA’s first of three points Wednesday in its matchup against No. 2 TCU. (Jake Greenberg-Bell/Daily Bruin staff)

Men's Tennis

No. 2 TCU4
UCLA3

By Chloe Agas

The Bruins’ resilience sufficed until the final moments despite falling short of victory.

In the second of four top-10 matches in March, UCLA men’s tennis (6-4) fell 4-3 to No. 2 TCU (12-1) on Wednesday afternoon.

Junior Giacomo Revelli and his doubles partner, redshirt junior Timothy Li, were defeated in their doubles matches 6-4.

Revelli said agility is key to enhance on current matchplay.

“We’re yet to get started in terms of taking some big names,” Revelli said. “We’re looking to be a bit more agile at the net, come forward and take it to our opponents.”

After two straight-set defeats in doubles Monday, the Bruins reached two tiebreakers against the Horned Frogs. Ultimately, the latter secured the first doubles point as Duncan Chan and Lui Maxted defeated Spencer Johnson and Emon van Loben Sels.

Coach Billy Martin said the Bruins were able to stay competitive against formidable opponents.

“I think we were anticipating having to play at a much higher level,” Martin said. “I felt like the doubles was very close. We had breaks, and all three of the doubles, unfortunately, did not go our way.”

Maxted and Tomas Jirousek pulled TCU’s lead to 3-0, defeating sophomores Gianluca Ballotta and Aadarsh Tripathi, respectively. Redshirt senior Govind Nanda fell to No. 10 Jack Pinnington in straight sets.

And before three matches could conclude, the Bruins were down 4-0, and the loss was cemented.

Although a win had slipped out of sight, three Bruins ensured UCLA would still have its mark on the scoresheets.

Senior Jorge Plans Gonzalez emerged the first victor in singles action, defeating Chan 6-4, 6-4. Plans Gonzalez said longer points created more chances during match play.

“Today, the guy played short points. I’m from Spain, so I liked playing longer points,” Plans Gonzalez said. “The longer the point was going to be, I will have more chances to win the point.”

The next two points for the Bruins were executed through close-call match points and two advancing tiebreaks.

Revelli was the second victor for UCLA, winning 6-4, 6-3, 1-0(11-9). He said maintaining strength through the bout was critical.

“In the tiebreaker, you know, things turned out favorably for me,” Revelli said. “It was close, but the bravery and the positivity helped get the win.”

After four tiebreaks across his doubles and singles matches, freshman Spencer Johnson prevailed against Sebastian Gornzy 7-6(4), 7-6(8), 1-0(10-8). Johnson’s win brought UCLA just one point from breaking even with TCU.

Martin said a motivated mindset is the focus moving forward.

“These matches against these top teams are going to do nothing but help us raise our expectations,” Martin said. ” If we keep the right attitude to keep improving, we should be fine.”

UCLA will face No. 10 Harvard on Sunday afternoon for its third of four top-10 matches this month.

Chloe Agas
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]