Sunday, April 28, 2024

UCLA men’s tennis snaps six-game winning streak in loss to Columbia

Sophomore Aadarsh Tripathi leaps sideways for a forehand serve. Following an opening game loss, Tripathi has maintained an undefeated record through this season. (Brianna Carlson/Daily Bruin)

Men's Tennis

No. 6 Columbia6
UCLA1

By Lamar Tuker

Six different Bruins fell prey to the Lions on Monday afternoon.

UCLA men’s tennis (6-3) had its six-game winning streak snapped by No. 6 Columbia (10-2) in a 6-1 decision Monday afternoon. The Lions bested the Bruins in all but one match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.

Sophomore Aadarsh Tripathi was the last Bruin standing in the singles matches. After losing the upper hand in the second set, the Pleasanton local’s comeback in the third set created UCLA’s sole tear on the scoresheets.

“I just saw the last tiebreaker, but he (Tripathi) looked like he was playing really solidly, aggressively, and I’m happy with the level that he put out today,” said junior Giacomo Revelli. “He got a good win to show.”

Tripathi exacted revenge after a straight-set loss to a Lion last season. Sophomore Gianluca Ballotta also had his rerun with the Lions this season – but unlike his classmate, he failed his chance at redemption with a 6-4, 6-2 defeat.

Coach Billy Martin said Ballotta’s result was unexpected.

“Gianluca is usually such a scrappy good returning player,” Martin said. “I think he had one break point. The whole match was very unusual. But still, he was frustrated back there.”

Emon van Loben Sels returned to the Bruin lineup after nearly a month out and picked up his second loss of the season. In his defeat to Pepperdine’s Zach Stephens on Feb. 14, the redshirt freshman took the affair to three sets – a feat he was unable to match Wednesday, ultimately ending the match 6-2, 6-2.

Martin said the new recruit may have let the nerves get to him.

“Emon probably played, at least in my opinion, the worst match of the year for him, and it really didn’t have a lot to do with his opponent,” Martin said. “He was just making so many unforced errors.”

But Martin added that the Bruins’ most challenging opponent yet offered lessons for future matches.

“I knew these were going to be tough matches and eye opening matches, and this certainly was,” Martin said. “So where the team goes from here? We’ll see – it’s a bit of a character test after this kind of whooping.”

UCLA will face off against another top-10 team in TCU – its second of five such matches this month – Wednesday afternoon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.

Lamar Tuker