Sunday, April 28, 2024

Maya Brady ties career high as UCLA softball sweeps Utah

Redshirt senior shortstop Maya Brady reaches back to throw a ball to a UCLA softball teammate. (Nicolas Greamo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Softball

Utah1

By Samantha Garcia

Seven runs with two hits.

Maya Brady tied her career high of six RBIs in a game Sunday.

Courtesy of the redshirt senior shortstop’s grand slam and two-RBI single, No. 18 UCLA softball (14-6, 3-0 Pac-12) defeated Utah (14-9, 0-3) with a score of 12-1, sweeping its first Pac-12 conference series of the season.

“It’s kind of a nine-on-one mentality. Nobody can do it out there alone,” Brady said. “It’s just really all of us having a really good flow of energy and having our pitchers back.”

After a scoreless first inning, Utah infielder Julia Jimenez hit a home run to score the Utes’ first and only run of the game. But freshman pitcher Kaitlyn Terry responded, striking out the next batter.

“I just settled in and just played my game,” Terry said. “I think it brought my confidence back from being not so nervous, but being so tight.”

The first seven Bruin batters in the second inning made it all the way home.

Senior utility Thessa Malau’ulu hit a two-RBI single, while redshirt senior infielder Seneca Curo scored on an infield error. Graduate student outfielder Jadelyn Allchin was then hit by a pitch, loading up the bases for Brady.

Brady launched her fourth career grand slam, driving the Utes’ pitcher out of the circle.

Back on defense, UCLA held Utah at one run for the remainder of the game, not allowing any of the latter’s runners to reach third.

With the bases loaded again in the third inning, Brady cleared the bases with a two-RBI knock. Then, she made it home on an error at second base for the last run of the inning.

Coach Kelly Inouye-Perez said quality at-bats add up over time, and the team is at its best when it can capitalize on having runners on base.

“Instead of just getting the solo home runs, it’s being able to come through when there’s runners on base,” Inouye-Perez said. “It went from a closer game, close, tight, they score – to boom, all of sudden four, then all of a sudden seven.”

By the end of the third inning, the Bruins led the Utes 11-1, with three consecutive singles helping to bring home UCLA’s final run of the game.

UCLA will return to Easton Stadium on Tuesday to face Rutgers (14-8). Inouye-Perez said junior pitcher Jada Cecil will see the circle.

Samantha Garcia | Sports contributor
Garcia is currently a contributor on the gymnastics and softball beats.