Students camp out for UCLA men’s basketball’s rivalry game, pack Bruin Walk

Students gather inside barricades on Bruin Walk in order to receive a wristband for UCLA men’s basketball’s game against USC on Feb. 24. The line stretched from near Pauley Pavilion around the west side of campus to the Meyer and Renee Luskin Center. (Myka Fromm/Photo editor)

By Joseph Crosby

This post was updated March 5 at 9:54 p.m.

Guardians of the Galaxy puzzle in hand, Isabella Natarelli lined up inside the barricades on Bruin Walk for students seeking entrance to UCLA men’s basketball’s home game against USC.

The fourth-year materials engineering student was first in line Feb. 23, arriving 32 hours before the scheduled 7 p.m. tipoff and 24 before wristbands – which guarantee seating – were distributed.

As a member of Den Operations – the club behind UCLA’s student section – Natarelli had not camped out for previous games, instead being able to enter early and help prepare the Den.

“I’ve always been able to be front row at the games, but I’ve always wanted to camp out, and I’ve just never had to,” Natarelli said. “It’s like, ‘Oh, might as well camp out and be first in line, because why not?’ And I had nothing else to do today, so might as well set up shop on Bruin Walk.”

The familiar sight on UCLA’s main thoroughfare appears a few times a year, spurred by ranked opponents or historic rivals traveling to Pauley Pavilion. Despite hovering just over .500 when it faced USC – and since falling below the mark – UCLA is set to draw fans to Bruin Walk and the surrounding areas once more before it faces No. 5 Arizona on Thursday night.

Second-year business economics student Alex Midura said he and his friends intend to line up for the game against the Wildcats, this time earlier than their 5:15 a.m. arrival just over a week ago.

Their near-dawn arrival time positioned them on the walkway between the Wasserman Football Center and Mo Ostin Basketball Center, far from the front of the line. In pursuit of comfort, students came equipped with tents, tarps, chairs or sleeping bags.

Midura’s group took a different approach: They brought a couch.

“We were not looking forward to being out on the floor,” Midura said. “It was a great decision – had some friends pick it up when they told us to get into single file.”

Security instructed students to begin packing up their supplies around 8 a.m. ahead of wristband distribution at 11. But even before Midura’s friends picked up the couch, he and his friends played cat-and-mouse with security.

(Myka Fromm/Photo editor)
More students sit, stand or lay down in their spots in line near the Mo Ostin Basketball Center and Wasserman Football Center. (Myka Fromm/Photo editor)

Midura said the couch required some heist movie-esque maneuvering upon arrival to avoid being reprimanded, and hopes others follow in his footsteps before the Wildcats come to town.

“I hope other people will take inspiration, and we get a whole line of sofas, against security’s best wishes, for the Arizona game,” Midura said.

The line – which started from just outside Pauley Pavilion, stretched to the intersection of Bruin Walk and Charles E. Young Drive before looping around both Ostin and Wasserman and eventually ending near the Meyer and Renee Luskin Center – contained thousands of students.

Even those who arrived as early as 1 a.m. were relegated to the sidewalk along Charles E. Young, closer to the Los Angeles Tennis Center than the entrance to Pauley Pavilion.

Fourth-years civil engineering student Heath Kirin and physiological sciences student Rahul Sobti said they and their friends played cards before resting in their sleeping bags and hammocks.

The pair added that they wanted to camp out before graduating – but likely will not try again when the Bruins face the Wildcats.

“I’d say it’s a ‘Do it once for the experience’ kind of deal,” Kirin said.

Near the end of the line, Annie Phillips and her friends arrived at 10:15 a.m., just 45 minutes before wristband distribution began.

“I was excited for the game, and I didn’t realize the line would be this crazy,” the second-year environmental science student said.

Students were greeted by the trio of sophomore forward/center Adem Bona, redshirt junior forward Logan Cremonesi and redshirt freshman guard Jack Seidler the morning of the game. The former Pac-12 Freshman of the Year and his two teammates were accompanied by members of the coaching staff, handing out donuts to fans near the front of the line.

“Donut from Adem Bona? Can’t complain,” Natarelli said. “Really can’t complain.”

(Myka Fromm/Photo editor)
Sophomore forward/center Adem Bona, redshirt junior forward Logan Cremonesi and redshirt freshman guard Jack Seidler pose with students for a picture. The trio of Bruins passed out donuts to students the morning of Feb. 24. (Myka Fromm/Photo editor)

Bona’s 6-foot-10 stature extends to his larger-than-life personality. He often wears his emotions on his sleeve during games – whether it be big smiles after wins, screams after blocks and dunks, or visible confusion after being called for a foul.

Third-year mathematics student Noah Ardell – who was second in line when he arrived three hours after Natarelli – said Bona is a very positive person.

“He was taking a picture of everybody else, and he was smiling bigger than they were,” Ardell said.

Bona and the rest of the team will have the chance to snap a four-game losing streak and avenge their earlier loss when they face the Wildcats later this week.

Natarelli said she’s ready to support the Bruins regardless of the season’s results.

“I love the basketball team. I’m their No. 1 fan,” Natarelli said. “I would be here no matter what. If we hadn’t won a single game this year, I’d still be here.”

Joseph Crosby | Sports editor
Crosby is the 2023-2024 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and NIL beats. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the baseball and women's golf beats. He is also a fourth-year statistics student.