Saturday, May 4, 2024

UCLA men’s volleyball to face historical odds in matches at BYU’s Smith Fieldhouse

UCLA men’s volleyball celebrates after notching a point. The Bruins will head to Provo, Utah this weekend for back-to-back matchups against BYU at the renowned Smith Fieldhouse. (Eden Yu/Daily Bruin staff)

Men's Volleyball

BYU
Friday, 6 p.m.

Smith Fieldhouse
BYUtv
BYU
Saturday, 6 p.m.

Smith Fieldhouse
BYUtv

By Lex Wang

Smith Fieldhouse has often proved daunting for the Cougars’ opponents.

The Bruins are no exception, having fallen in 17 out of 21 matches in Provo since 1999.

Following narrow wins in 2022 – the most recent matchup between the teams in Utah – No. 4 UCLA men’s volleyball (11-3, 2-0 MPSF) has a chance to once again overcome the historical home-court advantage No. 8 BYU (9-5, 0-2) holds at Smith Fieldhouse on Friday and Saturday.

“It’s another hard gym to play in,” said sophomore outside hitter Zach Rama. “We’re going to get there early. We’ll get in a couple of practices and get used to it, and we should be able to take care of business.”

Fresh off their matchup in Malibu against Pepperdine, in which UCLA faced a semi-rocky start before regaining its foothold, the Bruins find themselves in a spot that bears a striking resemblance to the last time they visited Provo.

Two years ago, the Cougars restricted the Bruins to losses in the first frame of both matches in the doubleheader, forcing the visitors to rebound from early deficits.

Just under 4,000 fans witnessed UCLA’s comeback effort from one set down in the first contest of the series. The figure marked the second-highest attendance of any BYU men’s volleyball match that year. And from two sets down on the second night, over 4,100 people were in attendance – the most of any BYU or UCLA men’s volleyball match that year.

Smith Fieldhouse, which boasts the second-highest average attendance in NCAA men’s volleyball, presents an opportunity for some of UCLA’s newer starters to compete in the face of what coach John Speraw called a “great crowd” that is rooting mostly for the other side of the net.

“I’ve never been to BYU, but I’ve seen it on TV a lot, and their crowd gets really fired up,” said redshirt sophomore middle blocker Sean McQuiggan.

For some Bruin veterans on the team, however, this weekend’s trip to Provo may be a chance to revisit the audience of a familiar arena – and prove that the BYU home court doesn’t have to be the site of hurdles.

Prior to 2022’s back-to-back wins, UCLA had lost 13 straight matches in Provo. But Rama, who started for the third time this season against the Waves, said he remains positive about the team’s ability on the road.

“It all starts with the pass, so kudos to the guys that are putting up the good passes, and kudos to our setter for putting up the good balls,” Rama said. “We (the hitters) take care of the rest.”

At an elevation of 4,551 feet, Provo – compared to Los Angeles’s 305 – is home to one of the toughest sites of collegiate volleyball, but Speraw said he looks forward to embracing the demanding environment.

“I know what a challenge it is to go to Provo and get wins,” Speraw said. “The more we’re challenged, the better we’ll get, but I know it’s going to be very, very difficult.”

Lex Wang | Enterprise editor
Wang is the 2023-2024 Enterprise editor. Previously, she was the 2022-2023 Opinion editor, and prior to that, an assistant Opinion editor. She is Arts and Quad staff and also contributes to News, Sports on the men's volleyball beat, Copy, Design, Photo and Video.