Thursday, May 9, 2024

Bruin Flea’s February market hosts new, returning vendors for Westwood community

The Bruin Flea on Broxton Avenue is pictured. The flea market features numerous vendors every month. (Neha Krishnakumar/Daily Bruin staff)

By Zoya Alam

Music filled the air and booths lined Broxton Avenue last Friday evening as a variety of vendors came together to sell unique items at the Bruin Flea.

The flea, which lasted from 5 to 10 p.m., featured booths selling vintage curated fashion, accessories, permanent jewelry, tooth gems, flowers and more. Founded the previous academic year by Delta Sigma Phi chapter brothers Luis Lopez and Holland Smith, the flea brings together more than 30 vendors every month, with a portion of proceeds from the event going to local nonprofits and student organizations.

Luis Lopez, who is now an alumnus, said he brought the Bruin Flea to Westwood with the goal of bringing the community closer together.

“The reason I did what inspired me was honestly just creating communities, bringing people out and providing people a platform,” he said. “I always loved thrifting and buying and reselling, … but it was kind of far sometimes, … and I thought something that Westwood was missing and the UCLA community would love was a flea market.”

At each month’s iteration of the market, Bruin Flea helps a different local organization or business in some way, Lopez said. Last Friday, Vintage Inspired – a thrift store on Gayley Avenue – was given a free pop-up stand.

[Related: Bruin Flea brings student-owned, locally based vendors to Broxton Avenue]

Returning vendor Larisa Penaloza owns the secondhand clothing shop Loreley Vintage, which sells Y2K and designer femme clothing and accessories. She said she enjoys the night market ambiance and the diversity of the crowd at the flea market.

“In my shop, I like to have a variety of different styles that cater to a lot of different people,” Penaloza said. “I like that when people come to my booth, they can all find something they like.”

(Neha Krishnakumar/Daily Bruin staff)
Pictured are community members shopping at a booth. There are various booths at the flea every month, with products ranging from handmade goods to vintage clothing. (Neha Krishnakumar/Daily Bruin staff)

Bea Cruz, a second-year psychobiology student, was one of the many shoppers at the market and said she enjoyed sifting through the racks, adding that she liked the large selection of clothes at the flea.

In addition to clothing, many vendors sold handcrafted items.

Natural Sands, a small business that specializes in handmade jewelry and household items, had polymer earrings, vases, reusable towels and candles on display. The booth’s owner, Danielle Nowak, said she likes selling at the Bruin Flea because it is a different audience than what she is used to.

“It’s really cool to be around college students,” Nowak said. “People here appreciate handmade stuff and unique goods.”

Mia Montillano, a third-year psychology student and owner of botanica.kraft, was selling charcuterie boards and boxes as well as floral arrangements.

Montillano said she has been experimenting with those crafts since she was a senior in high school, but she officially launched her business over winter break after her friends said they really enjoyed the charcuterie board she made for Thanksgiving. She made her first sale on Bruin Walk on Valentine’s Day, and her items soon sold out.

Montillano said she liked the vibes of the flea and was happy she had the opportunity to sell there.

“It’s nice to see the community come together,” Montillano said. “I’m really grateful that they (the Bruin Flea organizers) reached out to me with this opportunity.”

(Neha Krishnakumar/Daily Bruin staff)
Clothes at a booth are pictured. Community members said they enjoyed the variety of products at the Bruin Flea. (Neha Krishnakumar/Daily Bruin staff)

The monthly market has attracted regulars who enjoy shopping and stopping by every time, such as fourth-year political science student Kylie Johnson. Johnson said this was her third time coming to the Bruin Flea.

“I think it’s just seeing a multitude of different styles jumbled up in one,” she said. “You get to see and experience different styles and ways to dress.”

Other Westwood community members visited the flea for the first time last Friday. Natalie Villaseñor, a third-year Spanish and community and culture student, said it was her first time at the flea market, adding that she was happy to find heels, a cute skirt and a top at the market.

In the end, the flea market seeks to bring people across Westwood and Los Angeles together, Lopez said.

“It’s all about a domino effect of trying to help everybody,” Lopez said. “The more we create a community here, I think the community will just continue to expand across LA and out of LA as well.”

Zoya Alam
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]