Thursday, May 16, 2024

Middle Eastern Pre-Law Student Association offers community, career guidance

Kerckhoff Hall, where the Office of Student Organizations, Leadership & Engagement is located, is pictured. SOLE serves as the office responsible for new on-campus clubs. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Isabel Colburn

Though the road to law school can be a legal labyrinth, some Middle Eastern students at UCLA are creating a space to embrace their career aspirations together.

UCLA’s Middle Eastern Pre-Law Student Association, which was established this year, seeks to facilitate connections and networking between Middle Eastern students with similar career goals, said Leena Musharbash, the organization’s president and co-founder. Musharbash, a second-year geography student, said she was inspired to create the club after observing a lack of pre-law organizations tailored toward her community.

“I really wanted to open that space because it’s something I would have been so interested in as a first-year,” Musharbash said.

The club will offer various opportunities at its meetings, including LSAT workshops and test discounts for LSAT preparation groups, Musharbash said. She added that she hopes the club will emphasize collaboration rather than embracing the competitive nature of some other pre-law organizations on campus. She said the club hopes to invite speakers with experience in the legal field, as they can provide insight into pursuing careers in law.

Oula Abdelkawy, the club’s internal vice president and co-founder and a fourth-year political science student, said the club aims to demystify the legal admissions process. As someone who has experienced the law school admissions process, Abdelkawy said she wants to share the knowledge she has attained with others who have similar aspirations. She added that the club does not have an application process to join.

Abdelkawy said that while the club aims to connect Middle Eastern students with resources for a successful law career, it is also open to students interested in Middle Eastern policy, even if they are not of Middle Eastern descent.

Hebah Halibi, a second-year sociology student, said she is excited about MELSA because it offers her the opportunity to connect with people who share similar experiences and motivations for pursuing a legal career.

“Because of the backgrounds that we come from and all types of racism and microaggressions that we’ve dealt with in the States – especially in Western societies – most of us are seeking a career in the legal field that’s looking to help people that look like us,” Halibi said.

Halibi said she is interested in MELSA because it plans to cultivate an environment where Middle Eastern students can relate to one another and help each other succeed. MELSA will also contain a social element so students can support one another in their careers and academic journeys, Musharbash added.

Mark-Anthony Mouawad, a first-year political science student, said he thinks MELSA provides a unique opportunity for international students.

Mouawad, who is from Egypt and of Lebanese origin, said the transition from understanding one legal system to another can be challenging. Mouawad said his goal in joining MELSA is to help international students feel more comfortable throughout this process.

Reina Simaan, a second-year economics student, said she believes MELSA offers a unique opportunity for Middle Eastern pre-law students to build community. Simaan added that the representation of Middle Eastern students in law is important, as it empowers students to pursue their career aspirations by providing the connections they need.

Simaan also said this student-led community building has broader impacts, adding that an inclusive and more accurate portrayal of Middle Eastern people is necessary in the legal field and that student networking furthers this goal.

“Promoting collaboration among students, we can advocate for … a greater visibility within the legal community,” Simaan said.

Musharbash and Abdelkawy both said they are excited about what the future holds for Middle Eastern pre-law students.

“We’re also really excited to see how many people are really interested, and we see a lot of potential here,” Abdelkawy said. “We’re really excited to take everything to the next level.”

Isabel Colburn

Frnshd room with pvt bath in prvt home, includes Drct TV, internet, util, wash/dryer use, week maid serv pool/jacuzzi gate grded, walk to UCLA, no prk or kitchen $1300 310 310-309-9999