Monday, May 20, 2024

‘She’s an incredible leader’: Emma Andres returns to lineup for UCLA gymnastics

Graduate student Emma Andres leaps above the beam during her routine. Andres has made her return to the lineup after missing the 2022 season because of an injury and only performing exhibition routines in 2023. (Shane Yu/Daily Bruin staff)

By Samantha Garcia

After a two-year hiatus, graduate student Emma Andres has become a consistent piece of the Bruins’ beam lineup.

While recovering from injuries that kept her out of competition lineups, Andres missed all of UCLA gymnastics’ 2022 season and only performed exhibition routines in 2023.

Now, a healthy Andres has competed on beam for the Bruins for the past three competitions – recording a 9.850 or better twice – and contributed to the team’s season-high score last weekend against Washington.

“The preseason was a lot different than some of her last couple years as far as just being healthy enough to train consistently,” said coach Janelle McDonald. “I think that’s why she’s been able to get the confidence to, day in and day out, perform her gymnastics to the ability that she has.”

McDonald said the graduate student’s beam routine is unique. Andres said that the source of her moves comes from difficulties with certain skills.

“Growing up in J.O. (Junior Olympics), some of the normal skills that everybody did were hard for me, and so I always had a really weird series,” Andres said.

The Bruins seemed to struggle on beam at the first meet of the season, and having to count two falls led to the lowest team beam score this season. Following that meet, there were some alterations to the beam rotation, which included the addition of Andres, who had not appeared in a lineup in two years. During her season debut on beam, she scored a 9.900, the second-highest beam score for the Bruins that day. Andres has appeared on every beam lineup since.

At the most recent meet against Washington, the graduate student performed an exhibition floor routine, an event she competed in during every meet in the team’s 2020-2021 season. She said although it was not her best, she is happy with it for a first attempt and is hoping to compete on the floor again.

The graduate student has also utilized her wisdom and experience as a veteran to be a leader on the team.

“She’s an incredible leader, especially with one-on-one,” said graduate student Margzetta Frazier. “Whenever I feel a hand on my back, it’s probably Emma.”

Injury updates

Similarly to Andres, Frazier has had an injury that has prevented her from competing on the floor this season.

Frazier, who is currently dealing with an ankle injury, said she feels like ankles never fully heal and that she has become a smarter athlete in the gym by limiting the number of reps she does.

She also has a target date for returning to competition.

“My goal is my birthday to do a floor routine,” Frazier said.

Feb. 25 is not only Frazier’s birthday but also involves a home meet against California, whose roster features Frazier’s sister, eMjae Frazier.

While Andres and Frazier have been rehabilitating their injuries alongside the team, freshman Sydney Barros just arrived in Westwood in January after enduring a knee injury over the summer during the Central American Games. McDonald said the three-time USA National Team member has been cleared to practice bars.

“She’s an incredible bar swinger, so it’s been really fun to see her getting skills back and really being able to build up her strength there,” McDonald said.

While Frazier aims to return before the end of the month, Barros’ timetable to make her Bruin debut is less clear.

Samantha Garcia | Sports contributor
Garcia is currently a contributor on the gymnastics and softball beats.