Sunday, May 12, 2024

UCLA gymnastics sets season-high score in home opener against Washington

Senior Chae Campbell competes on floor at Pauley Pavilion, performing choreography to her “Black Panther”-themed routine. Campbell tied the team high on the event Saturday night as one of two gymnasts to score a 9.95. (Nicolas Greamo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Aaron Doyle

This post was updated Jan. 29 at 12:03 a.m.

As Chae Campbell landed her double tuck dismount on floor, scraps of paper resembling confetti were thrown in the air.

The senior’s 9.95 on floor – tying a team high as a part of the Bruins’ 49.625 event score – closed out Saturday night’s home opener at Pauley Pavilion.

“The crowd being in our personal view was really exciting,” Campbell said. “We were able to really build off of that. There’s no place like home.”

Washington trailed No. 15 UCLA gymnastics the entire meet, as the Bruins notched a season-high 197.825, the sixth-highest score in the nation so far. UCLA notched season highs on every event as sophomore Selena Harris won the all-around, scoring a 39.625 overall.

Compared to their last meet, the Bruins were over a point stronger than against No. 1 Oklahoma at the Denver quad.

What changed?

“We were tired of losing,” Harris said.

Saturday was different.

Already ahead of the Huskies by 1.025 points, the Bruins still had yet to hit the floor, where they were ranked No. 7 on the event nationally entering the meet.

Junior Brooklyn Moors scored her second 9.950 on the event this season with her Euphoria-themed floor routine. Harris followed Moors with a 9.925, while graduate student Nya Reed matched the same score before Campbell’s finale. 

UCLA’s total score is the fifth-highest team floor score from any program in the country.

“They level up their performance when they are here in Pauley, and they just competed with joy,” said coach Janelle McDonald. “The support that The Den brought just made it so much fun.”

One event earlier, the Bruins showed major improvements on beam compared to the first two weeks of competition. 

The rotation was led by junior Emma Malabuyo’s season high of 9.950, leading the team to another event high with a 49.500. Sophomore Ciena Alipio also notched a season high on the event with a 9.900, while Harris earned her third 9.900 of the meet.

Even though UCLA’s first two events were its lowest scoring of the night, they still were season highs.

The Bruins started the meet on vault, where they launched off with a 49.400. Campbell’s perfect Yurchenko full highlighted the rotation when she scored a perfect 9.950 for her start value. 

The vault marked the sixth perfect score Campbell achieved on vault and her second this season.

“I’ve found my rhythm on that event,” Campbell said. “I never stick in the warmup, ever. I feel like I have to save it for the competition.”

Sophomore Selena Harris performs a Yurchenko 1.5 on vault at Pauley Pavilion on Saturday night. Harris scored 9.900 or above on all four events en route to the all-around crown against Washington. (Shane Yu/Daily Bruin staff)

Freshman Katelyn Rosen – who competed in the all-around for the first time in her collegiate career – scored a season high on the event, scoring a 9.900 with her Yurchenko 1.5. Harris matched with a 9.900 herself, giving the Bruins three 9.9-or-higher scores to start the night.

Harris said she shared some wisdom for Rosen as an experienced all-around competitor.

“Soak up the moment, and calm yourself down because it’s really easy to get really hyped and all over the place,” Harris said.

Heading into the second rotation, the Bruins led the Huskies by one-and-a-half tenths and only extended their lead – beginning with Harris scoring a 9.900 on bars.

Senior Margzetta Frazier hit her routine after having a costly fall last week, scoring a 9.825, while Malabuyo kickstarted her three-event campaign with a 9.850 – leading the Bruins to a 49.300 overall.

Freshman Alex Irvine and Paige Anastasi made their Pauley Pavilion debuts in Saturday’s competition. The two Level 10 standouts showed freshman jitters, falls on bars and vault, respectively.

McDonald said moments like those are necessary to build experience for young gymnasts.

“That’s exactly why we want to put our freshmen in those positions,” McDonald said. “It’s all about learning and being able to take away the lessons that they learned, whether it goes perfectly or not.”

Aaron Doyle