Sunday, May 19, 2024

UCLA men’s basketball prepares to face Riverside, defend 28-game home win streak

Freshman guard Ilane Fibleuil defends during UCLA men’s basketball’s game against Lafayette. (Ella Greenberg Winnick/Daily Bruin staff)

Men's Basketball

UC Riverside
Thursday, 8 p.m.

Pauley Pavilion
Pac-12 Networks

By Lauryn Olina Wang

Stationed in the blue waters of the Pacific, the Bruins tested top-ranked waters with their young squad in the Maui Invitational last week.

UCLA men’s basketball played three games in three days, with then-No.4 Marquette and then-No.11 Gonzaga bookending the Honolulu stint.

While the Bruins dropped both tightly contested contests, they flew back to the mainland with new insight into their deep and rapidly developing roster.

“I won’t say we’re satisfied because we’re not – it’s not a right to lose here,” said junior guard Lazar Stefanovic. “But I think we made a big step up, and just in proving ourselves with such a young team that we’re still able to compete at the highest level early this season.”

UCLA (4-2) will now take its results back to the home lab in its game against UC Riverside (3-4) on Thursday night at Pauley Pavilion. The matchup marks the sixth meeting between the two programs, and the Bruins will seek to uphold a perfect record against the Highlanders – while also preserving their nation’s leading 28-game home winning streak.

It remains to be seen whether UCLA will employ a four-guard rotation as opposed to a two-big scheme against Riverside. But associate head coach Darren Savino, speaking for the under-the-weather head coach Mick Cronin, said the Bruins possess the capacity to execute with either formation.

“The beauty of this team is we have versatility,” Savino said. “We can go big and play big, but can also switch off and play a small lineup and not get killed on the backboard.”

One of the guards who has helped UCLA compensate on the rebounding front is freshman guard Ilane Fibleuil. He grabbed eight rebounds in 18 minutes against Gonzaga, playing at the four for the first time in his life.

The French recruit said he’s had a few priorities since transitioning from European-style play to collegiate basketball.

“Defense wins games, so I’m just trying to bring that to the team, just rebound, jump on every loose ball,” Fibleuil said. “The floor is smaller, every time you bring the ball to the floor, you’ve got three or four guys trying to strip you. … I think that was the biggest adjustment for me, just taking care of the ball more and focusing all the time on the floor.”

Freshman center Aday Mara is another international Bruin acclimating to American officiating. The Spaniard earned the starting nod against Gonzaga but logged three fouls in just under 3 1/2 minutes of play.

Savino said the coaching staff is focused on utilizing past plays as learning models for Mara to understand and navigate the novel landscape with his 7-foot-3-inch frame.

“Some of the rules that he’s used to, accustomed to, are different from the rules here,” Savino said. “As time goes on, the experience will help him. He had a foul where he was in good defensive position. Instead of his hands back and up, his hands were forward. … He hasn’t got an example of things he hasn’t gotten yet, but he will get it.”

One freshman who has taken his newfound responsibility in stride is guard Sebastian Mack. The four-star recruit earned Pac-12 Freshman of the Week following his career-high 25 points against Marquette alongside a pair of 16-point performances versus Chaminade and Gonzaga.

Mack said despite the honor, he is focused on his primary vision to compete as a team and ultimately find success in the collective effort.

“Everybody has it (Pac-12 Freshman of the Week) as a goal,” Mack said.”But I mean, my main goal is just going with this good group of guys. … We’re young, but I feel like we can still do a lot of things.”

While Mack and sophomore guard Dylan Andrews facilitate in the backcourt in tandem, Savino said the Bruins still have strides to make on the offensive side of the ball to couple with some innately strong defensive tendencies.

UCLA will have the opportunity to workshop its shortcomings against Riverside and gain valuable barometers before it goes on the road against No. 18 Villanova and Ohio State.

Regardless of the opponent, the motivation to win persists.

“Having these four letters across your chest, it really makes you go harder,” Fibleuil said. “We’ve got to win games. Like, you’re at UCLA.”

Lauryn Olina Wang | Sports senior staff
Wang is currently a Sports senior staff writer on the women’s basketball, men’s basketball, NIL and football beats. She was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women’s basketball, men’s soccer, men’s golf and track and field beats, reporter on the women’s basketball beat and contributor on the men’s and women’s golf beats. Wang is also a fourth-year history major and community engagement and social change minor.