Letter from the editor: Daily Bruin Opinion encourages community submissions in order to foster dialogue

By Laila Wheeler

Dear Bruins:

It’s been a rough year – and we are not alone in this. The challenges extend far beyond the walls of UCLA or even the United States.

As we watch international tragedies unfold right before our eyes, we must allow ourselves to take time to breathe and rest. During periods of chaos, we often forget to pause and observe how these dire events are affecting us mentally, socially and physically.

Be gentle with yourself and those around you. Words cannot describe the pain that so many of us are feeling right now. It’s been heavy, to say the least.

One thing about the UCLA community that never changes is our groundbreaking advocacy work and unwavering ability to reach people all over the globe. We have been changemakers in the past and will continue to be in the future.

As we seek to implement effective ways to move forward and repair the wounds that have been caused or reopened, we must hold our True Bruin Values of respect and integrity close. While it is imperative to remain critical of the media we consume – whether that be mainstream or right here in your student-run newspaper – it is equally important to approach this in a productive manner.

We do not operate with a mission to agree on everything, as that is fully unrealistic in an age of political polarization. Nevertheless, conflict without dialogue is detrimental and egregiously limits our capacity to organize to our fullest potential on both sides.

As tensions continue to rise internationally and in our own backyard of Los Angeles, Daily Bruin Opinion encourages open dialogue among communities to foster healthy understanding.

This platform is for you.

We strive to amplify the voices of community members, especially those who are underrepresented and feel unheard in this institution and beyond. Every voice matters, and we’re here to make your thoughts and opinions known to a vast audience.

Community voices are essential in cultivating a space reflective of the diverse population and multifaceted ideologies that circulate on our campus.

Op-ed submissions are your opportunity to bring a unique perspective to the table and onto the newsstands. If you have something to share, we have a space to hold your words.

Students, faculty, staff and community members are highly encouraged to submit op-eds or letters to the editor as a constructive method to engage with our content and present their own views. While op-eds often frame a new argument that presents a call to action, letters to the editor respond to or address issues found in the Daily Bruin. We encourage everyone to take advantage of this platform and use it for good.

Drafts can be submitted on our website at any time about all topics relevant to the UCLA community. Although we cannot guarantee the publication of all submissions, we carefully evaluate each piece and deeply value your contributions.

Community dialogue is vital to fostering change. Your voice matters in our paper – today, tomorrow and beyond.

Warm regards,

Laila Wheeler

Opinion editor

Laila Wheeler | Opinion editor
Wheeler is a 2023-2024 Opinion editor. She currently serves on the editorial board and was previously an assistant Opinion editor and columnist. She is a third-year public affairs, education and sociology student from Rancho Cucamonga, CA.