Sunday, April 28, 2024

Saba Waheed announced as new director of UCLA Labor Center

The UCLA Labor Center is pictured. The university announced Monday that Saba Waheed will serve as the new director. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Alexandra Kaiser

Saba Waheed will serve as the next director of the UCLA Labor Center, the university announced Monday.

Waheed, who has served as the research director at the Labor Center for 11 years, was chosen after a nationwide search, said Tobias Higbie, the director of the Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, in the announcement. The former director, Kent Wong, will transition to a role as project director for Labor and Community Partnerships, Higbie added.

Waheed’s work in labor studies includes research focused on areas including fast food, domestic work and retail, Higbie said in the announcement. He added that she has also taught the Labor Studies Summer Research Program for the past six years.

She was also part of the creation of the Labor Center’s research justice framework, which partners university research with workers, unions and community organizations, Higbie added in the announcement.

“Waheed’s unique mix of skills and her vision for the future of the Labor Center prepare her well for the opportunities and challenges of leadership,” Higbie said.

Alexandra Kaiser | Campus politics editor
Kaiser is the 2022-2023 campus politics editor. She was previously a News reporter and Opinion columnist. She is also a third-year communication and political science student.