Thursday, May 2, 2024

UCLA Undergraduate Research Fellows Program supports Bruins pursuing research

The Life Sciences Building, which houses the Undergraduate Research Center for the Sciences, is pictured. Applications for the center’s 2023-2024 Undergraduate Research Fellows Program will be open through Nov. 15. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Yashila Suresh

This post was updated Oct. 25 at 12:14 a.m.

The UCLA Undergraduate Research Fellows Program seeks to provide support and mentorship for students involved in research.

The two-quarter program is designed to aid students pursuing research with UCLA faculty, providing them with up to $3,000 in scholarships and a seminar on academic and professional development, according to the Undergraduate Research Center for the Sciences. The program aims to allow students to focus on their research without worrying about financial hindrances, according to the center’s website.

Applications for the 2023-2024 URFP program will be open until Nov. 15.

Jorge Avila, the URFP’s assistant director, said the goal of the program is to ensure students are getting the most out of their research experience at UCLA, which is important for career development.

“Research in general helps students get that experience in critical thinking, research design (and) reaching out to your broader network around UCLA,” Avila said.

Alec Hernandez, a program representative, said a barrier faced by many students wanting to get involved in research is that there are more students interested than there are available positions. He said while the program does not necessarily reduce this competition, it does offer students already involved in research the ability to dedicate more time to it by helping fund their academic careers.

“They (students) can really commit the time to the research project. And they don’t have to stretch themselves so thin with maybe a job on the side in addition to their coursework and in addition to the research,” Hernandez said.

Both Avila and Hernandez said they hope students seek out opportunities such as the URFP because they can be valuable systems of support. Hernandez added that the program seeks to help students both with and without experience in their research careers.

Nicole Huang, a fourth-year human biology and society student, said in an emailed statement that she heard about the program from an older student and decided to apply because she has been interested in how bodies function since high school. Huang was involved in the URFP from 2022-2023 and is currently part of the Undergraduate Research Scholars Program, which is designed for juniors and seniors.

Huang, who researches different mechanisms of autoimmunity, said in an interview that the best part about being in the program was being able to learn on her own while still having support when needed.

“Being able to conduct independent research in itself is a really great opportunity and a privilege because you’re able to have a little bit more autonomy over the problem-solving and the troubleshooting,” she said.

Mélia Leclercq, a fourth-year environmental science student, said the URFP allowed her to develop her research, teamwork, communication and presentation skills through mandatory research presentations at the end of each quarter.

Leclercq, who first joined a lab in spring 2022, added that the program gave her the opportunity to present at UCLA’s annual Undergraduate Research Week, where she was able to demonstrate her skills and learn about the research her peers were doing.

“It’s a great opportunity if you want to go into research,” Leclercq said. “It pushes you to do things that maybe you wouldn’t have done if you weren’t part of this program.”

The most rewarding part of the program has been making new friends in the lab and learning from them, Leclercq added.

The program might also expose students to alternate careers they may not have thought of, Avila said. Leclercq and Huang both said they have been inspired by their time in the program, and have considered integrating research into their post-undergrad plans.

“My time in research has really changed my career path,” Huang said. “Right now, my career goals are to be a physician-scientist rather than a general physician, so being able to incorporate research into my clinical studies.”

Leclercq, whose research focuses on wastewater treatment, added that although she is unsure of what she will do after college, the URFP led her to consider potentially pursuing a doctoral degree in the future.

Huang said she hopes students who are interested in research reach out to other students to learn more about getting involved.

“Ask some upperclassmen who are either involved in research or have been in the program,” she said. ”But first and foremost, don’t be afraid to apply.”

Yashila Suresh