Sunday, April 28, 2024

UCLA cross country saves new bests for last regular season meet before Pac-12

Members the UCLA women’s cross country team race across the green. (Courtesy of UCLA Athletics)

By Sam Schuette

This post was updated Oct. 17 at 9:59 p.m.

The Bruins had a personal best-laden Friday in Texas.

For its third and final regular season meet of 2023, UCLA cross country traveled to College Station, Texas, for the Arturo Barrios Invitational on Friday. The women’s team placed second out of 41 teams, trailing only Utah Valley, while the men’s team came in 17th among a field of 39.

Junior Mia Kane led the women’s team for the third straight race of the season, with a personal best 20:04.6 in the 6K, good for 14th overall out of 387.

Kane said the team’s consistent training drove her and the team to success.

“Friday was a really good showing for us because we all really trust the training and trust our fitness,” Kane said. “People have really started to buy into our new training philosophies and ideas about our fitness.”

Junior Angelina Shandro and sophomore Chloe Browne finished 33rd and 35th with times of 20:22.8 and 20:25.2, respectively. Junior Hailey Golmon and sophomore Bella Browne continued the trend of pack running by finishing 51st and 55th with times of 20:40.3 and 20:42.1, respectively.

Kane added that the team did a good job working together as a group.

“Yesterday, a lot of people were able to just find each other in the race and pack up and work together as a team,” Kane said. “Everybody was really excited going into this race and the energy was there. You could tell in the team tent on the warmup that we were going to have a good day.”

In all, nine of the 10 Bruins on the women’s team registered personal best marks at the meet, with each of the top five scorers doing so.

The men were missing junior Patrick Curulla – who led the team at their previous meet – but still finished in 17th place out of 39 teams in the 8K.

In his absence, sophomore Harrison Dance led UCLA as the team’s top finisher, running a personal-best 24:01.4 for 33rd place overall. Dance marked the third Bruin in three meets to finish as UCLA’s top runner, after senior Dylan Wilbur and Curulla led the way at the South Bay Twilight and Dellinger Invitationals, respectively.

Junior Mateo Bianchi finished close behind in 39th place, running 24:06.7, and senior Dylan Wilbur followed with a time of 24:30.5 for 77th place. Sophomores Conor Gibson and Chris Chavez – each making their season debut – rounded out the team’s top five with times of 24:55.2 and 25:07.5 for 136th and 159th place, respectively.

Similar to the women’s team, seven of eight male runners took home personal bests at the Barrios Invitational.

With the 2023 regular season now complete, the Bruins will set their sights on the Pac-12 championships Oct. 27, hosted by the University of Washington. The tournament marks their final year competing for the Pac-12 title before they enter the Big Ten in 2024.

Sam Schuette