Saturday, May 4, 2024

October installment of Broxton Nights features ‘Tricks and Treats’ theme

Pictured is Broxton Nights. Bruins and Westwood community members gathered at the monthly event for Halloween-themed activities and roller-skating. (Nicolas Greamo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Gabrielle Siegel

This post was updated Oct. 17 at 11:24 p.m.

Bruins and community members gathered on Broxton Avenue on Saturday for the Halloween-themed installment of Broxton Nights.

The pop-up market and roller disco, which occurs on the second Saturday of each month, featured a “Tricks and Treats” theme for the Halloween season. The event included seasonal elements, such as a Halloween photo booth, pumpkin painting station and costume contest.

The Westwood Village Improvement Association partnered with LA Skate Hunnies, a female-founded skate community, for the event to provide skate rentals and lessons.

Jennifer Yonda, the founder of LA Skate Hunnies, said she enjoys hosting events in the UCLA community because of the energy students bring.

“This spot in particular is great,” Yonda said. “I love the people that are walking around – everyone’s really vibrant and open and fun, and this area is perfect. We’re really happy to be here.”

Jane Park, a third-year chemical engineering student, said her favorite part of Broxton Nights was the opportunity to skate.

“I rolled out with the Skate Hunnies,” Park said. “It’s really cool that they engage with this student population and the community.”

In addition to roller-skating, attendees could listen to music by the Soundbox truck, play games in the street and shop at booths selling handmade goods from local artisans.

The WVIA also partnered with Farm Habit to put on the night market as a part of the Broxton Nights event. The market had booths selling artisan goods as well as food vendors serving dim sum, vegan ice cream and tea.

Farm Habit hosts about eight farmers markets across Los Angeles, including the Westwood Village Farmers’ Market and the market at Broxton Nights, said Aubrey Yarbrough, the director of community development for Farm Habit. She added that Broxton Nights was special for Farm Habit because the organization is new to hosting at night.

“We have this huge network of artisans and foodies,” Yarbrough said. “We’re really excited to bring them here.”

Myriam Flores, a vendor at Broxton Nights, operated the Golden Vintage 1 booth selling handmade baskets and hand-painted vintage items. She said she enjoys being in the area around UCLA and has had a positive experience being a merchant at the event.

“All the artisans, … we have good conversation,” Flores said. “We have a lovely partnership, and we understand each other.”

Joey Zhou, the co-founder of tea company Teawaves, also said he commended the atmosphere of the event. He said his company, which sources tea from his hometown in southern China, benefits from the energetic crowds and foot traffic at the Westwood markets.

“We love this community,” Zhou said. “It’s a lot of peace and love, and people love to try something new.”

Broxton Nights was introduced in advance of the closing of Broxton Avenue to become a pedestrian-only plaza, said Megan Furey, the director of programs and partnerships at the WVIA. She added that the Broxton Nights series is part of the effort to have activities on the street in order to show what it will be like when the street is closed to cars permanently.

“We’re just looking to bring out the community – make something that’s family-friendly and that the students can also engage with,” Furey said.

Furey added that the WVIA is aiming to permanently close Broxton Avenue by the end of the year. She noted that planning events will be easier following the closure, as the WVIA will no longer need to secure an event permit every month.

[Related: Westwood Village Improvement Association obtains permit for Broxton Plaza Project]

Some students used Broxton Nights to relax and enjoy Westwood. Aimee Nagahiro, a third-year psychology student, said he appreciated the free pumpkin painting booth as a way to take a break from schoolwork.

“It’s nice to just go out and just do something fun,” Nagahiro said. “We’ve got to go back and study, but it’s also nice to go out and just do something silly.”

Gabrielle Siegel
Siegel is a 2023-2024 slot editor. She was previously a 2022-2023 Copy staff member and has contributed to News and Prime. She is also a fourth-year communication and Spanish student from Lincolnshire, Illinois.