Tuesday, May 7, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

Form to acquire Bruin U-Pass now open, students can ride bus free of cost

A Santa Monica Big Blue Bus is pictured. Undergraduate students will now have access to the Big Blue Bus and other public transportation system with the Bruin-U Pass (Justin Jung/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Lex Wang

Undergraduate UCLA students can now apply for the Bruin U-Pass, which will provide fare-free access to all public transportation in Los Angeles, UCLA Transportation announced Monday.

The Bruin U-Pass was established following the passage of the Universal Access Transit Pass referendum in April, which increased undergraduate student fees by $3.30 per quarter to fund the program. The pass will allow students to ride for free on the local lines that serve the campus and Westwood – including the LA Metro, Santa Monica Big Blue Bus, Culver CityBus and four lines designed for commuters – according to UCLA Transportation.

The new pass acts as a standard Transit Access Pass card, which can be tapped at a fare box before boarding a ride, but will replace any previously issued UCLA TAP cards, according to an email from UCLA Transportation.

Students can obtain a Bruin U-Pass by filling out a survey from Metro on the BruinTAP for Transit website after logging in with their UCLA Logon ID.

Students living on campus can pick up passes on The Hill at the Sunset Village courtyard or the area in front of Feast at Rieber from Sept. 20 to 23, according to a joint Instagram post from the Undergraduate Students Association Council Facilities Commission and Bruins for Better Transit. Those living in university apartments have the choice to retrieve passes at Gayley Heights or the Weyburn Terrace courtyard on Sept. 17 and 18, the post said. Pick-up is from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day, the post added.

Off-campus residents can choose to have their pass delivered to their address or collect it at the Central Ticket Office, according to the post.

The pass must be renewed each quarter, and fall quarter passes will be effective from Sept. 18 until Dec. 24, UCLA Transportation said in the announcement.

Lex Wang | Enterprise editor
Wang is the 2023-2024 Enterprise editor. Previously, she was the 2022-2023 Opinion editor, and prior to that, an assistant Opinion editor. She is Arts and Quad staff and also contributes to News, Sports on the men's volleyball beat, Copy, Design, Photo and Video.