UCLA football to kick off 2023 campaign with three-quarterback rotation

Coach Chip Kelly walks along the field. (Daily Bruin file photo)

Football

Coastal Carolina
Saturday, 7:30 p.m.

Rose Bowl
ESPN

By Grace Whitaker

It’s that time of year when the Rose Bowl is preparing for the Bruins to grace its field.

Tarps attached to stands, end zones painted blue and gold, goal posts screwed in.

But this week, the stadium and the fans that fill it will be preparing for a new era, something unlike anything they’ve witnessed in recent years.

Led by a three-quarterback rotation, UCLA football will open its 2023 campaign against Coastal Carolina on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. In addition to the trio of signal callers, the Bruins will have the chance to see if a new end zone star emerges. Gone are the days of quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson and running back Zach Charbonnet leading the offense, Saturday will stand as the first contest for fans and experts alike to view the new Bruins.

Coach Chip Kelly plans to implement the rotation of redshirt junior Ethan Garbers, who will start; freshman Dante Moore, a five-star recruit; and redshirt junior Collin Schlee, a transfer from Kent State, throughout the first game.

Coastal Carolina, on the other hand, has a different opposing quarterback situation. Redshirt senior Grayson McCall will lead the Chanticleers for his fourth straight season, boasting a laundry list of accolades and recognitions including the 2022 Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year – the third time he’s won the award. The quarterback was good for 30 total touchdowns in the 2022 campaign. Garbers conversely accounted for a total of four touchdowns in the same year, albeit as a backup to Thompson-Robinson.

After it was announced Monday that Garbers would lead the charge on the initial snap, Kelly said the Bruins will be going with the three-man rotation to benefit from the talents of all three quarterbacks.

“Who’s going to help us win the game? It’s a very simple process,” Kelly said. “And I think all three of those guys could do that.”

Junior running back Carson Steele added that after having a close-up view to the quarterback competitions, all three deserve the playing time.

“Being able to watch them all compete together, you know, there’s no doubt in your mind as a player that all three of them shouldn’t be out there playing,” Steele said.

Beyond the yard gatherers, another rotation will be looked at come Saturday, that of the offensive line.

Redshirt junior Bruno Fina will be among the new faces as the left tackle made his way up the depth chart to a starting position over experienced transfers such as redshirt senior Khadere Kounta from Old Dominion. Redshirt senior center Duke Clemens said the Bruins are still finding their set line and will additionally make use of a rotation.

“We have a good, solid eight, nine guys that can really play on this team and I don’t think we’ll skip a beat if any different mix and match of that rotation goes on,” Clemens said. “Everyone’s ready and everyone wants to get that starting job.”

As for UCLA’s opponent, Coastal Carolina is entering week one off of a 9-4 campaign. Both the Bruins and the Chanticleers earned votes in the AP poll, but landed outside of the top 25.

Clemens said he thinks Saturday’s performance will cause some heads to turn.

“We’re a really good team this year, but we don’t really pay too much focus into that I guess,” Clemons said. “If they want to talk and not really recognize how good we are then let them, we’ll just show it on Saturday.”

Grace Whitaker | Sports senior staff
Whitaker is currently a senior staff writer on the football, men's basketball and women's basketball beats. She was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, women's soccer, beach volleyball and cross country beats and a contributor on the women's basketball and beach volleyball beats.

Frnshd room with pvt bath in prvt home, includes Drct TV, internet, util, wash/dryer use, week maid serv pool/jacuzzi gate grded, walk to UCLA, no prk or kitchen $1300 310 310-309-9999