Sunday, May 19, 2024

Scouting report: UCLA women’s volleyball preseason breakdown

By Ira Gorawara

Aug. 25, 2023 9:26 a.m.

After introducing an entirely new coaching staff, UCLA women’s volleyball is gearing up for its 2023 campaign following a narrow miss of the NCAA playoffs last year. The Bruins will chase their fifth national title while adjusting to new faces at the helm and the departure of key figures. The squad opens its season against LSU on Friday, marking the first time the teams meet in over a decade. Here is a preseason breakdown of the Bruins from assistant Sports editor Ira Gorawara – who is awaiting the start of the season all the way from Hong Kong.

Middle blockers
Personnel: Francesca Alupei, Desiree Becker, Brooklyn Briscoe, Anna Dodson

All eyes now rest on Anna Dodson after the Bruins bid farewell to defensive stalwart élan McCall.

The redshirt senior opted for another year in Westwood and made her return to UCLA women’s volleyball after forgoing her initial plan of entering the transfer portal.

Dodson managed a breakout season in 2022 as she tallied season-high figures in nearly all statistical categories, including two 15-kill showings against Arizona and Oregon State and 11 digs against Colorado. Throughout the season, Dodson mustered a .400 and above clip 11 times, with the Bruins winning nine of those matches. If the cornerstone of UCLA’s attack can adjust to the higher stakes of this season – given the loss of McCall – its middle blocking lineup is in capable hands.

As UCLA’s leader in blocks and hitting percentage last season, Dodson secured the team’s sole All-Pac-12 selection and received a call-up to the national ranks, training alongside the Women’s National Team this past summer. Dodson is primed to usher in fresh ideas and guidance to her Bruin squad after her summer training.

While the Bruins guarded their own in the transfer portal, they managed to score graduate student Desiree Becker from Northwestern – who moved to UCLA for her final year of collegiate volleyball.

Becker’s .349 hitting percentage atop 118 blocks last season guided her Wildcat squad to their winningest season in over a decade, and could be the defensive anchor to fill a Bruin void created by 2022 roster departures.

Injuries may plague the middle blocking squad as Francesca Alupei’s torn ACL forced her out most of last season and may disturb her transition back to competition. The junior, who led UCLA with 72 blocks and the Pac-12 with 1.53 blocks per set before her injury, can prove the team’s defensive linchpin should she commence the season healthy.

Freshman Brooklyn Briscoe will walk the veterans’ path as she begins her time in Westwood.

And fortunately for the class of 2023’s No. 12 recruit, the path is paved with promise.

Defensive specialist/libero
Personnel: DS/L Sydney Breon, DS/L Peyton Dueck, DS/L Kat Lutz, DS/L Katie McCarthy, L Mokihana Tufono

It remains unclear who will take over as UCLA’s back-row leader.

When Mackenzie Cole began her one-year spell in Pauley Pavilion last season, she brought with her a back-row defensive acumen. The former ACC Defensive Player of the Year was the only Bruin to start all 29 matches that year, leading the squad with 422 digs. As soon as she was done, it was time to wave goodbye to Westwood. And with that, the Bruins also waved goodbye to their defensive ace.

Sophomore Mokihana Tufono and junior Peyton Dueck are the most seasoned options to replace Cole. In Tufono’s first start as a Bruin, the then-freshman tied the program record for service aces in a match with eight and notched her first double-double with 24 assists and 16 digs.

Tufono also garnered five 20-plus assist contests in her freshman season, including in all four final matches of the season. Rather than getting lost in Cole’s shadow, Tufono leveraged her chances and has guaranteed herself a critical defensive role this season.

Dueck is likely to be second in the mix, as she totaled 149 digs in the 2022 season and marshaled 18 service aces to position herself third among the Bruins. A Dueck-Tufono race that Tufono seems to be leading could, at any time, favor the opponent.

And the lack of experience among the two freshman options for this position doesn’t deter from the sufficiency of hope.

Freshmen Sydney Breon and Kat Lutz are set to grace the court this season for the first time ever and begin their collegiate volleyball campaigns. With esteemed high school recruits as a part of his ensemble, coach Alfee Reft can experiment with his defensive specialist.

Outside hitter/opposite
Personnel: OH Carly Hendrickson, Opp Kate Lane, OH Cheridyn Leverette, OH/Opp Iman Ndiaye, OH/Opp Grayce Olson, OH Joy Umeh

Between two recruits and four returners, UCLA’s pin hitters bring both novel perspectives and a sense of Bruin familiarity.

Sophomore Carly Hendrickson and redshirt senior Joy Umeh bring a wealth of experience from the Southeastern Conference and Big West, respectively, allowing them to shepherd in a unique understanding of the game.

Umeh has garnered two All-Big West selections as she struck 889 kills while churning out 3.39 kills per set throughout her Irvine tenure. Umeh contributed to her program’s progression from a 5-23 record her freshman year to 20-10 her junior season. If her numbers stay the course, she will be a critical threat on the left side for the Bruins.

Reigning Pac-12 All-Freshman Team awardee and All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention command the right side – sophomore Grayce Olson and senior Iman Ndiaye, respectively.

After making her mark in Pleasanton, California, as a four-year letterwinner in high school, Olson notched double-digit kills eight times and stood atop all Bruin freshmen in kills with 164 – good for fourth on the squad. The former top-50 recruit’s .235 hitting percentage and promising debut positions her as a strong contender for increased minutes and impact in 2023.

Ndiaye heightened her standards this past season, seeing 14 rounds of double-digit kills compared to none in her sophomore season. Her total kills on the season increased by over threefold, as she finished 2022 with 269 – the squad’s second-best. Ndiaye’s performance surged in almost all statistical categories, forging high anticipation and expectation for her 2023 run.

The Bruin pin hitters have demonstrated they can rise to the occasion. But when push comes to shove, Ndiaye takes center stage. Her versatility may be the final thread to complete UCLA’s fabric.

Setter
Personnel: Ashley Mullen, Audrey Pak

The 2023 Bruins boast a lineup brimming with promising attackers, but they have yet to confirm a setter to spur their offense.

A successor for reigning starter Matti McKissock has yet to be determined, and the answer lies between senior Audrey Pak and freshman Ashley Mullen.

The easy answer is to go with the senior. Experience and time are on her side.

But not every freshman is afforded the opportunity to train with a national squad.

Before even stepping foot in a collegiate volleyball game, Mullen was chosen in a national contingent as an alternate for the USA Volleyball 2023 Collegiate Women’s National Team. The Kansas City local slates in as the No. 4 setter in the country, according to Prep Volleyball, and was an AVCA First Team High School All-American.

The numbers speak for themselves as Mullen racked up nearly 3,500 assists in high school, averaging 10.8 assists per set between her junior and senior seasons. If Mullen’s high school performance and collegiate-level exposure can come together well at the start of the season, she may be assuming starting setter duties right off the bat.

And with Pak – who has just 18 matches for UCLA under her belt – on the heels of a redshirt season, Mullen may be on lock to be the team’s primary setter and run the offense of UCLA women’s volleyball’s esteemed program.

Ira Gorawara | Assistant Sports editor
Gorawara is a 2023-2024 assistant Sports editor on the men's volleyball, women's volleyball, men's tennis and rowing beats and is a Copy contributor. She was previously a reporter on the men's volleyball and rowing beats. She is also a second-year communication and economics student.