Monday, May 20, 2024

For UCLA women’s volleyball, ‘the sky’s the limit’ this preseason

Redshirt senior middle blocker Anna Dodson rises for a kill. After a productive summer training alongside the Women’s National Team, Dodson readies for her final year with the program. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Nicole Augusta

This post was updated Aug. 20 at 4:43 p.m.

Nine months ago, the Bruins fell short of an NCAA playoff bid for the third time in a decade.

This time around, Anna Dodson said there is no question regarding whether the squad can reach the national stage.

“I think the simple answer is yes,” the middle blocker said. “It gives me goosebumps thinking about it.”

But after the 2022 season, Dodson said she considered departing UCLA women’s volleyball’s hallowed halls by way of the transfer portal. Ultimately, one name was credited with the redshirt senior’s decision to stay in Westwood.

“The main answer is (coach) Alfee Reft,” Dodson said. “I wouldn’t be here without him.”

Reft assumed the head coach position following Michael Sealy’s departure in December. Between coaching the U.S. Women’s National Team and two Big Ten schools, Reft brings a wealth of experience to the UCLA team. Most recently, he led San Diego to its first-ever NCAA semifinal appearance.

Reft said he does not, however, let his time elsewhere cloud his vision for the Bruins. As just the fourth head coach in program history, Reft has ushered not only an entirely new personnel at the helm but also a new atmosphere – part of which entailed putting the team to work early.

From senior outside/opposite hitter Iman Ndiaye’s perspective, the earlier start to preseason training has allowed the Bruins to focus on day-to-day improvements while fostering a collective purpose among the team.

“What I really like about what this new staff has brought is just the emergence of new culture,” Ndiaye said. “We’re continually building our own culture so that the values that we attribute to the team aligns with our values.”

(Joseph Jimenez/Photo editor)
Iman Ndiaye elevates. The senior opposite/outside hitter credits the brand new coaching staff for instilling a fresh team culture in this program. (Joseph Jimenez/Photo editor)

Akin to the players’ regard for Reft, the coach was quick to appreciate his ascension into UCLA’s esteemed program.

“What’s really specific to UCLA is – I think I’ve talked about this a lot in the past – the greatness that exists around us. That’s something special and unique to being a Bruin, and so we get to pull on that,” Reft said. “It’s always nice to have those added layers of inspiration around already the work that we’re doing.”

One year ago, the AVCA preseason poll slotted the Bruins in the No. 12 spot. This time around, the Bruins are unranked – stipulating a steeper climb ahead as the squad also adjusts to the absence of key figures.

Last season’s conclusion saw the departure of outside hitter/opposite élan McCall, defensive specialist/libero Mackenzie Cole and setter Matti McKissock – the top-ranked players in kills, digs and assists on the team, respectively. Amplified by outside hitter/opposite Charitie Luper’s transfer to Louisville, these losses will be felt on UCLA’s side of the net this season.

Regardless, whether it be despite or because of their performance last year, motivation from the Bruins is high – so high that Reft said their energy is a starting point rather than something to build from scratch.

“I think they believe in what this program can be, and that’s why they’re sitting here,” Reft said. “Our job as a staff is just to help see that through and create the resources and the avenues for them to be everything they know they can be.”

And with this support, in Dodson’s eyes, the program can be anything.

“The sky’s the limit,” Dodson said.

Nicole Augusta
Augusta is a 2023-2024 Slot editor and Sports senior staff member on the softball beat. She was previously a Copy and Sports contributor on the women's volleyball beat. She is also a third-year human biology and society student.