Saturday, May 11, 2024

Emma Malabuyo soars to silver on floor for the Philippines at Asian Championships

Rising junior Emma Malabuyo dances during her floor routine at Pauley Pavilion. Malabuyo earned a silver medal on floor at the Asian Championships in Singapore. (Megan Cai/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Benjamin Royer

This post was updated July 2 at 7:06 p.m.

Emma Malabuyo is admittedly still learning to speak Filipino.

UCLA gymnastics’ rising junior said she relies upon family members and her new teammates to help her learn new words and phrases. In terms of formal training, Malabuyo previously took a level-one Filipino course to increase familiarity with the language.

But one word stuck out to her when she returned from the 2023 Asian Artistic Gymnastics Championships in Singapore.

The Philippines National Team’s junior team athletes started calling her “ate,” the Filipino word for older sister. Malabuyo, who on June 18, secured the highest-ever placement for a Filipina gymnast at the event after winning a silver medal on floor, said the connection and respect built with her fellow gymnasts shone through regardless of the historical results at the event.

“What really made me proud was after I got my medal, everyone gave me a hug and said, ‘This means so much to us,’” Malabuyo said. “Not even just for myself, but doing it for the people around me, I think that’s kind of that’s what meant most to me. I just felt so much love.”

A few weeks after the collegiate season concluded, Philippines coach Cliff Parks – who coaches club gymnastics near Oakland – reached out to Malabuyo with an opportunity to represent the country. She said despite being physically and mentally tired, the excitement to compete was still there.

Malabuyo made the switch from USA Gymnastics – which she represented as an alternate at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics – to the Gymnastics Association of the Philippines to continue her elite career. In order to make the change, the Santa Clara local received dual citizenship and a Filipino passport – the latter of which was so last minute she obtained it the day before traveling.

But one final travel snafu left her competition status at risk.

Malabuyo’s flight from San Francisco to Singapore was canceled, forcing a 23-hour journey through Chicago and Japan to reach Singapore Changi Airport just three days before the competition.

However, once Malabuyo joined the rest of her team, she said the gymnasts from both the men’s and women’s Filipino teams would hang out together every day while in Singapore, creating a familial atmosphere.

“I would invite them to my room so we’d all hang out,” Malabuyo said. “They love to sing, they love to dance, and I think that kind of brings out the best side of me because that’s what UCLA likes to do.”

Alongside Malabuyo, a familiar face from her elite past also made the switch to represent the Philippines. LSU gymnast Aleah Finnegan secured bronze medals on beam and vault at the Asian Championships.

LSU gymnast Aleah Finnegan (left) poses with Malabuyo (right) as the duo shows their medals won with the Philippines at the Asian Championships. (Courtesy of Emma Malabuyo)

While competing for the United States, the Filipino duo competed against each other for a spot at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, in which Finnegan came up short and Malabuyo became a U.S. alternate.

Now, both are medalists, attempting to increase the Philippines’ presence on the gymnastics world stage. Finnegan – who first met Malabuyo in 2018 – said it was nice to have a teammate with her that understood what it’s like to finish up the college season and immediately jump into other competitions during the offseason.

“She’s just such a fun person to be around, and I love being able to compete with her again,” Finnegan said. “It was just so good to reconnect, and we’ve been through a lot together, especially just going from elite to college to back to elite again.”

And while Malabuyo said competing at the Asian Championships was one of the best experiences of her life, she did not expect the impact it would have back in the Philippines. Billboard-like advertisements featured Malabuyo and Finnegan, showcasing their accomplishments while representing the nation at the Asian Championships.

“I didn’t know how big it was – representing the Philippines. It means a lot to my family, especially my grandparents too,” Malabuyo said.

Malabuyo said the Philippines wants to send her to China for the 2022 Asian Games, which the Olympic Council of Asia postponed until September.

While she is currently resting, the Bruin said she plans on gearing up in preparation for the international event soon.

Benjamin Royer | Assistant Sports editor
Royer is the 2023-2024 Assistant Sports editor on the baseball, gymnastics and men's water polo beats and a reporter on the football beat. He was previously a staff writer on the baseball, football and gymnastics beats. He is also a fourth-year communication student.