Three-star prospect Eric Freeny commits to UCLA men’s basketball

Coach Mick Cronin walks along the court. Cronin picked up his first class of 2024 commitment Saturday when Centennial High School guard Eric Freeny announced his decision to join UCLA men’s basketball. (Joseph Jimenez/Photo editor)

By Joseph Crosby

This post was updated July 9 at 10:28 p.m.

The Bruins have picked up their first commitment for the class of 2024.

Centennial High School shooting guard Eric Freeny has committed to UCLA men’s basketball, according to On3’s Joe Tipton. The 6-foot-4 recruit received offers from California, Colorado State, Loyola Marymount, Nevada and others before ultimately choosing to play in Westwood on Saturday afternoon. Freeny’s commitment comes at a time when the Bruins are still rounding out their freshman class following the departure of five players to the NBA.

A rising senior from Corona, California, Freeny is currently a three-star prospect and settles in at No. 108 nationally, according to 247Sports. Positionally, Freeny ranks as the No. 25 shooting guard and No. 11 overall player in California.

Freeny is the second player recruited by coach Mick Cronin to come out of Centennial High School, joining four-star incoming freshman Devin Williams – who also played for Freeny’s AAU basketball team, the Compton Magic. The pair will have the chance to reunite when Freeny joins the team in 2024.

The commitment comes 11 days after Freeny’s June 20 visit to UCLA and just over two months after receiving an offer from the school April 25. Freeny also represents the first Big Ten recruit for UCLA, joining the Bruins after the program departs the Pac-12.

Freeny’s commitment will remain verbal until Nov. 8 when the official NCAA men’s basketball early signing period opens and the new Bruin recruits can sign their National Letters of Intent.

Joseph Crosby | Sports editor
Crosby is the 2023-2024 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and NIL beats. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the baseball and women's golf beats. He is also a fourth-year statistics student.

Frnshd room with pvt bath in prvt home, includes Drct TV, internet, util, wash/dryer use, week maid serv pool/jacuzzi gate grded, walk to UCLA, no prk or kitchen $1300 310 310-309-9999