Saturday, June 29, 2024

SJP and UC Divest Coalition Demonstrations at UCLAUCLA chancellor appointment

Senior signoff: Despite unconventional journey, Brynn Masikewich made ‘an abundance of memories’

Senior forward Brynn Masikewich passes the ball to a teammate while facing pressure from two defenders. (Jeremy Chen/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Brynn Masikewich

What’s up UCLA nation? It is your girl, Brynn! Where do I start? First, I want to say thank you to everyone involved in my four years at UCLA, it has been quite a journey! Second, thank you to the coaches for giving me an opportunity to be a basketball Bruin! And finally, thank you to the women’s basketball donors and the UCLA community for always encouraging me and speaking so much life into me with your kind words.

I know my journey has not been a conventional one, but it has certainly been an enjoyable one. From the day I arrived on campus in 2019, I knew UCLA was the right choice. I knew I surrounded myself with great people and I would be able to grow as a person. Unfortunately, my career here mainly involved suffering several injuries and rehabilitating them on and off the basketball court. Those injuries were not under my control, which was a good lesson as my years here passed. As a Bruin, I also experienced a global pandemic and an international lockdown, so I had to move back home to Canada. I spent my sophomore year rehabilitating a second knee surgery and took classes during my second year while I was up north! International learning, am I right? As a junior, I was able to come back and be a campus Bruin, but as we all know, it was not the same as before the pandemic. Athletically, I suffered yet another injury that took me out for the season. However, I was extremely grateful to be back and feel a part of the community again, even though it was a bit different than before. Fast forward to my senior year, Bruin Nation was back to normal, and I was finally cleared and able to take action on the basketball court. My team competed for an NCAA Sweet Sixteen spot in March Madness, how cool is that! My journey had its ups and downs – I wouldn’t call it ideal – but it has given me so many memorable experiences that hold a special place in my heart.

The UCLA community has helped shape me into the person I am today. Through my own personal struggles, the athletic, academic and athletic medical communities (and my friends, of course!) have helped me thrive throughout my time here. From the course work, to being fully integrated as an international student, to the many positive faculty interactions I had, UCLA truly helped me find out my interests and passions for the future. I have been able to further my own personal values so much through my experiences at UCLA, it has allowed me to grow as a person and determine what is important to me. I have also been able to explore and find out the areas to pursue in my career after the ball stops bouncing.

I am grateful for all the events UCLA Athletics hosted for us student-athletes, and I am grateful for all the staff, faculty members and all my friends I’ve made while on UCLA’s campus. Every single one of you has helped me so much. I am leaving UCLA with an abundance of memories that are so hard to leave behind. Lastly, I would like to thank all my teammates that are truly my friends, thank you for being there every single day throughout my journey as a Bruin. From the long talks, exploring LA, laughing till our stomach hurts, and so much more – but getting to create and share lifelong connections and memories together is something I will always cherish.

As my time here has come to an end, I am extremely grateful to be a Bruin. Thank you to the coaches and everyone involved in my development as a basketball player. Being a part of the women’s basketball program has allowed me an opportunity to be an alumnus of the No. 1 public university, create lifelong connections and experiences I would have not had without the team.

UCLA is a special place. I hold the significance of the name near and dear to my heart. My college experience as a student-athlete has been one to remember, and I am extremely excited to cheer on the next generations loud and proud, no matter the time and place! Thank you, UCLA.

Love,

Brynn Masikewich

UCLA BRUINS #05

Masikewich played for UCLA women’s basketball from 2019-2023.

Brynn Masikewich

Cheviot Hills furnished room for rent. $1500/month, a double room with bathroom [email protected]