Speakers announced for 2023 UCLA commencement ceremonies

A commencement ceremony is pictured. Speakers ranging from politicians to artists will join graduates to give commencement speeches. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Alexandra Kaiser

Correction: The original version of this article incorrectly stated that Asad Madni is the former president and chief executive officer of BEI Technologies. In fact, he is the former president, chief operating officer and chief technology officer of BEI Technologies.

This post was updated June 13 at 5:53 p.m.

Multiple politicians will deliver keynote addresses at UCLA commencement ceremonies next week, alongside artists, activists and other speakers.

Commencement ceremonies began with the UCLA School of Law ceremony May 12 and will end June 23 with the UCLA Extension certificate graduation ceremony. More than 9,000 undergraduate students and 5,000 graduate students will graduate this season, the announcement said.

Karen Bass, the mayor of Los Angeles, will deliver the keynote address at the UCLA Anderson School of Management commencement ceremony Friday, the announcement said, adding that Paul Krekorian, the president of the LA City Council, will speak at the UCLA International Institute’s ceremony Saturday.

The announcement also said Michael Tubbs, former mayor of Stockton and Gov. Gavin Newsom’s current special advisor for economic mobility and opportunity, will speak at the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs undergraduate and graduate ceremonies.

Speakers

• Luskin School of Public Affairs – Michael Tubbs, special advisor for economic mobility and opportunity for California Governor Gavin Newsom
  • UCLA College – Randall Park, alumnus and well-known actor and director
  • School of Theater, Film and Television – Gina Prince-Bythewood, alumnus and filmmaker
  • Anderson School of Management – Karen Bass, mayor of LA
  • Herb Alpert School of Music – Martha Gonzalez, alumnus, MacArthur Fellowship recipient, musician, cultural theorist and activist
  • Fielding School of Public Health – Diana Ramos, alumnus, California’s surgeon general
  • School of Nursing – Kenneth White, president of the American Academy of Nursing
  • Samueli School of Engineering – Asad Madni, alumnus and former president, chief operating officer and chief technology officer of BEI Technologies
  • School of the Arts and Architecture – Kristina Wong, alumnus and activist
  • School of Education and Information Studies – Christina Christie, alumnus and Wasserman dean of the school
  • International Institute – Paul Krekorian, president of the LA City Council and District 2 councilmember
  • UCLA Extension – Stephen Cheung, alumnus and president and CEO of the LA County Economic Development Corporation and World Trade Center LA
Alexandra Kaiser | Campus politics editor
Kaiser is the 2022-2023 campus politics editor. She was previously a News reporter and Opinion columnist. She is also a third-year communication and political science student.