Jenny Johnson Jordan to assume head coach role of UCLA beach volleyball

Coach Jenny Johnson Jordan walks off the court. Johnson Jordan will be taking on the role of head coach of UCLA beach volleyball after 10 years with the program. (Brandon Morquecho/Daily Bruin)

By Grace Whitaker

UCLA beach volleyball is entering a new era.

The program announced Monday that former associate head coach Jenny Johnson Jordan will be taking on the role of head coach. This announcement comes nearly three weeks after the Bruins announced that former coach Stein Metzger would be departing the program for Texas after 11 seasons at the helm of the Bruins. Johnson Jordan was named the interim head coach at that time.

Johnson Jordan has been with the program for nearly as long as Metzger, as the latter brought her on 10 seasons ago as an assistant coach, and she was promoted in 2020 to the associate head coaching position. Johnson Jordan was honored in 2019 with the AVCA National Beach Volleyball Assistant Coach of the Year.

Prior to assisting Metzger in spearheading the Bruins to two national championships in 2018 and 2019, Johnson Jordan was an athlete for UCLA women’s volleyball from 1991 to 1995. During her time as a Bruin, she brought home a national title in 1991.

In the statement released by UCLA Athletics, Johnson Jordan emphasized her gratitude toward Metzger and the honor she feels to head the program.

“These past 10 years have been nothing short of amazing in helping to build this program with Stein Metzger,” Johnson Jordan said. “I have had the privilege to be a part of the rise and history-making moments with this team, and now I am deeply humbled and honored to have this opportunity to continue leading it forward.”

Grace Whitaker | Sports senior staff
Whitaker is currently a senior staff writer on the football, men's basketball and women's basketball beats. She was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, women's soccer, beach volleyball and cross country beats and a contributor on the women's basketball and beach volleyball beats.