UCLA men’s basketball’s Myles Johnson to speak at graduate student commencement

The UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science is pictured. Former men’s basketball player Myles Johnson, who recently received his master’s in electrical and computer engineering from the school, announced that he will speak at the school’s graduate student commencement. (Justin Jnryung/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Anna Dai-Liu

Former men’s basketball player Myles Johnson will be the student speaker at the UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering & Applied Science’s graduate student commencement.

Johnson, who graduated in March with a master’s degree in electrical and computer engineering, announced in a tweet Monday that he will be speaking at the ceremony, which will be held June 18 at 1:30 p.m. in Pauley Pavilion. He will also be walking across the stage during the ceremony in recognition of his winter quarter graduation.

“I’m honored and excited to announce that I have been chosen as … (the) 2023 Samueli Engineering Commencement Student Speaker,” he said in the tweet. “Can’t wait to share my journey and insights with you all.”

After earning his undergraduate degree in electrical and computer engineering at Rutgers University, Johnson transferred to the UCLA men’s basketball team for the 2021-2022 season, receiving honors from both the Pac-12 conference and the National Association of Basketball Coaches in his 35 games. He chose to step away from basketball in order to focus on finishing his degree, he said in an Instagram post in April 2022.

During his time at Rutgers, Johnson also created BLKdev, an organization that supports Black students interested in STEM and promotes educational and financial resources available to them, according to BLKdev’s website. Johnson currently works as a firmware developer for IBM.

“I never doubted myself, but this exceeds my imagination. Two chapters closed: student and athlete. This proves what hard work and passion can really achieve,” Johnson said in another tweet May 16. “It’s been a blessing to partake in such a fulfilling journey.”

Anna Dai-Liu | Science and health editor
Dai-Liu is the 2023-2024 science and health editor and Copy staff member. She was previously a News staff writer and is currently a third-year neuroscience and comparative literature student.