Alicia Um Holmes to become UCLA women’s golf head coach

Coach Alicia Um Holmes (center) stands with senior Annabel Wilson (left) and sophomore Zoe Antoinette Campos (right) during a tournament. (Courtesy of UCLA Athletics)

By Joseph Crosby

The Bruins’ search for a new women’s golf coach has ended.

UCLA Athletics announced in a statement released Thursday that women’s golf associate head coach Alicia Um Holmes would become the fifth head coach in program history following the retirement of coach Carrie Forsyth on April 24. Um Holmes just completed her 17th season as the team’s associate head coach.

“I am excited, honored and humbled to be given the opportunity to be the next leader of our women’s golf program,” Um Holmes said in the statement. “I look forward to the challenge of following her (Forsyth’s) footsteps, winning championships and upholding our high level of academic excellence.”

In her time as associate head coach, Um Holmes and the Bruins have clinched two Pac-12 championships as well as the 2011 NCAA title. Following the conclusion of the 2013-2014 season, the Women’s Golf Coaches Association named Um Holmes as its Assistant Coach of the Year. That year, UCLA finished third nationally after winning its NCAA regional.

Most recently, the Bruins finished in eighth place at both the Pac-12 tournament and NCAA San Antonio Regional. This season was the first time since 2017 that UCLA missed the NCAA championships.

Prior to joining the coaching staff, Um Holmes played for UCLA from 1997-2002, earning an All-Pac-10 Honorable Mention in her final season as a player.

UCLA athletic director Martin Jarmond said in the statement that Um Holmes’ familiarity with the program will assist her as the new head coach.

“Alicia has instilled our student-athletes with a drive for competitive excellence in her previous 17 years as an assistant,” Jarmond said. “She knows our elite culture and history, having competed as a student-athlete at UCLA and leading the Bruins to a national championship as a coach in 2011. I am ecstatic to name Alicia as our new head coach.”

Joseph Crosby | Sports editor
Crosby is the 2023-2024 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and NIL beats. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the baseball and women's golf beats. He is also a fourth-year statistics student.