Power outage forces premature closure of Epicuria at Covel

The interior of the residential restaurant Epicuria at Covel is pictured. The dining hall closed early Thursday evening following a power outage that also caused flickering lights in other dining halls and university housing. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Constanza Montemayor and Dylan Winward

A power outage Thursday forced Epicuria at Covel, one of UCLA’s residential restaurants, to close early.

The dining hall, which offers Mediterranean food to students on the Hill, closed early Thursday evening, over an hour before its normal closing time of 9 p.m. The restaurant stopped admitting new diners and the doors were locked by 8:30 p.m. 

Ash Dourado, a chef in the dining hall, said the power outage meant that the kitchen was unable to function, with the fire going out in the pizza oven, the dish conveyor belt no longer working and the ovens turned off. 

“Different areas of the restaurant stopped working,” he said. 

There was no indication of when power will be restored.

Students in university-owned apartments and campus buildings including Kerckhoff Hall and Ackerman Union also experienced flickering lights and power outages throughout Thursday evening. Other dining halls, including De Neve, also experienced flickering lights and pauses in music.

UCLA Media Relations did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Constanza Montemayor | News senior staff
Montemayor is a News senior staff reporter for the Bruin. She was previously the 2022-2023 News editor, the 2021-2022 features and student life editor, a News reporter, Photo contributor for the news beat and Arts contributor. She is also a fourth-year global studies student at UCLA.
Dylan Winward | Features and student life editor
Winward is the 2023-2024 features and student life editor. He was previously a News reporter for campus politics and features and student life. He is also a second-year statistics and english literature student.