UCLA baseball looks to finish season strong after working around injuries

Sophomore right-hander Alonzo Tredwell strides during his delivery. Tredwell is out for the remainder of the season after suffering injuries to his back and ribs. (Grace Wilson/Daily Bruin)

By Joseph Crosby

Playing “Bruin baseball” is a common phrase in the clubhouse of Jackie Robinson Stadium.

It’s a motto that coach John Savage and the rest of UCLA baseball use frequently.

But this year, the mentality that Savage emphasizes has taken on a new meaning as the team has dealt with injuries throughout the season.

“We’re constantly calling on new guys,” said senior right-hander Kelly Austin. “Anytime a new guy gets on the field, that’s going to be majorly important to see if he can produce. Can he help the team? Can this guy that hasn’t been playing this role step up and play this role?”

Injuries to starters and relievers alike have forced Austin into a variety of roles. He found a place as the Sunday starter when sophomore left-hander Ethan Flanagan wasn’t healthy at the start of the season, and now has taken over Saturdays following back and rib injuries to sophomore right-hander Alonzo Tredwell.

While veterans have stepped up, newcomers have helped fill the voids caused by injuries as well.

In the bullpen, freshman right-hander Cody Delvecchio has seen his number called in a number of different spots. With a sub-1 ERA to start the season, Delvecchio was a prime candidate to fill the ninth-inning role after an injury that has kept sophomore right-hander and closer Luke Jewett out since April 7.

Delvecchio adjusted from his already high-leverage usage to pitching the ends of games, but 17 earned runs in his last 6.1 innings have more than tripled his season ERA to 4.22. But the bullpen injuries don’t stop with Jewett. Senior right-hander Charles Harrison has carried a 1.14 ERA when he can pitch but has made just one outing since April 22.

Savage said getting Harrison relieving again has been a boon for the team.

“We need Harrison. We need power out of the bullpen,” Savage said. “We lost our power out of the bullpen when Harrison was out and Jewett was out. It’s nice to see Harrison back in the loop a little bit.”

UCLA’s injury woes haven’t been limited to its hurlers. Across the diamond, position players have been dealing with injuries of their own.

(Felicia Keller/Daily Bruin)
Sophomore shortstop Cody Schrier follows through on his swing. Schrier underwent left labrum surgery during the season, ending his 2023 campaign early. (Felicia Keller/Daily Bruin)

Sophomore shortstop Cody Schrier last played on April 16 and is done for the season following surgery on his left labrum, while sophomore center fielder Malakhi Knight has been in and out of the lineup and has not played in two weeks.

A handful of players have been getting increased opportunities on the field in their places. Junior third baseman Kyle Karros noted freshman outfielder Jarrod Hocking as someone who has taken advantage of the chance.

“He’s kind of gotten the opportunity to be an everyday guy,” Karros said. “He’s really ran with it. He’s an awesome player.”

In 26 starts this season, Hocking has posted a .980 on base plus slugging while homering in three of the last four games. Likewise, senior outfielder/left-hander Josh Hahn has hit at a .319 clip in 69 at-bats, starting at designated hitter in all three games against No. 10 Oregon State.

Karros, who missed time himself with an ankle injury, said the team is still in a spot to win games.

“At the end of the day, we have enough guys to go out there every day and compete,” Karros said. “That’s really all we need.”

Joseph Crosby | Sports editor
Crosby is the 2023-2024 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and NIL beats. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the baseball and women's golf beats. He is also a fourth-year statistics student.