UCLA School of Medicine rises in national rankings for primary care and research

The David Geffen School of Medicine is pictured. In a 2023-2024 nationwide ranking of medical schools by U.S. News and World Report released Thursday, the School of Medicine ranked in the top 20 for both primary care and research. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Anna Dai-Liu

This post was updated May 14 at 9:36 p.m.

The David Geffen School of Medicine ranked 10th in primary care and tied in 18th for research in a 2023-2024 ranking of medical schools nationwide by U.S. News and World Report.

Both rankings – which were released Thursday – were higher than last year’s rankings of 13th in primary care and 19th in research. A total of 194 schools were surveyed by U.S. News, with the top 90% in each category ranked.

According to U.S. News, primary care rankings took into account how many graduates from each school ended up practicing day-to-day health care, whereas research rankings were based on measures of federal academic funding, including grants from the National Institutes of Health. The School of Medicine tied for its rank in research with the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City and the University of Chicago’s Pritzker School of Medicine.

Both sets of rankings also considered student selectivity, faculty-to-student ratios and reviews from other medical professionals.

In addition to primary care and research rankings, U.S. News also published rankings in specialty medical fields. The School of Medicine ranked within the top 10 in seven of these and tied for 13th for a separate diversity index.

UCLA Health also ranked among the top 10 nationally in multiple specialties and ranked fifth overall in a nationwide ranking of hospitals by U.S. News in July.

“The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA is proud of its record of leading world-class research while also training highly skilled and compassionate physicians,” said Dr. Steven M. Dubinett, interim dean of the School of Medicine, in an announcement. “The next generation of physician leaders and scientists are drawn to our school for … our commitment to improving the health of our communities.”

Anna Dai-Liu | Science and health editor
Dai-Liu is the 2023-2024 science and health editor and Copy staff member. She was previously a News staff writer and is currently a third-year neuroscience and comparative literature student.