Mac Etienne becomes 2nd UCLA men’s basketball player to enter the transfer portal

Redshirt freshman forward Mac Etienne floats in a hook shot. Etienne has spent three seasons with UCLA men’s basketball but entered his name in the transfer portal Thursday. (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

By Jon Christon and Sam Settleman

This post was updated May 11 at 10:02 p.m.

Entering Wednesday, UCLA was one of just two programs to not have a player in the transfer portal.

But in less than 24 hours, two Bruins have headed for the exit. 

UCLA men’s basketball redshirt freshman forward Mac Etienne has entered the transfer portal, 247Sports reported Thursday morning. He joins freshman guard/forward Abramo Canka in transferring out of the program after Canka reportedly entered the portal Wednesday afternoon

Etienne’s decision comes right up against the transfer portal entry deadline, as players have until midnight Thursday to enter. 

While listed as a redshirt freshman, Etienne has spent parts of three seasons with UCLA. He joined the Bruins in the middle of the 2020-2021 season as an early enrollee out of high school.

That freshman season proved to be Etienne’s best with UCLA, as he tallied 11.4 minutes per game in 13 games played, with one start to boot. He broke onto the scene in game one with the Bruins, playing 28 minutes against USC and registering eight points, five rebounds, two blocks and a steal. 

But after the promising debut campaign, Etienne tore his ACL prior to the 2021-2022 season and missed the entire year. He returned in 2022-2023 and played in 32 games but never really found his footing, with just 1.3 points and 1.9 rebounds per game in less than seven minutes a night.

UCLA currently has just eight confirmed scholarship players on its roster for next season after the departures of Canka and Etienne. Redshirt senior forward/center Kenneth Nwuba is the only returning big man, but the Bruins are expected to potentially sign 7-foot-3-inch Spanish center Aday Mara and keep a scholarship open for the potential return of freshman forward Adem Bona.  

Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.
Sam Settleman | Sports editor
Settleman was the 2022-2023 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and gymnastics beats. He was previously an assistant editor on the gymnastics, women's soccer, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the gymnastics and women's water polo beats.