UCLA men’s volleyball defeats Hawai’i to take home 2023 national championship

Members of the UCLA men’s volleyball team hoist the trophy. The Bruins took home their 20th program title Saturday. (Ethan Manafi/Daily Bruin staff)

Men’s Volleyball

No. 1 seed UCLA3
No. 2 seed Hawai’i1

By Anthony Aroyan

This post was updated May 7 at 9:56 p.m.

FAIRFAX, Va – The winningest program in men’s volleyball history is back atop its perch.

And coach John Speraw – who has now won a title at UCLA as a coach, an assistant coach and a player – has led the team to its third ring since the turn of the century.

No. 1 seed UCLA men’s volleyball (31-2, 12-0 MPSF) took home trophy No. 20 with a 3-1 win over No. 2 seed Hawai’i (29-3, 9-1 Big West) to secure its first national championship since 2006.

“We had to fight for every single point. Hawai’i was never out of it. I just kept thinking we were probably going to overtime,” Speraw said. “The guys made really big plays at the end. I just know this is a really happy day for everyone at UCLA.”

Fans from both sides filled the 10,000-seat arena. The Rainbow Warriors-dominated crowd, complete with a cheer squad and a section of their student band, roared throughout pregame warmups. With opposing sections of fans filling the air with chants, the battle in the stands proved almost as intense as the one on the court.

Sophomore Ido David set the tone for UCLA in the first set. The outside hitter/opposite notched a team-high nine kills in the opening frame, striking from the Bruins’ right side and getting the ball past multiple Hawai’i blockers. David would also secure a frame-saving dig down the stretch.

“He’s a baller,” said senior hitter Alex Knight. “To come out and give that production he did is unbelievable. It took a lot of heart for him, and we just told him to keep going.”

Mirroring the two teams’ previous meeting in March, the first set of the final proved an overtime thriller. Down 23-20, the Bruins went on an 8-3 run to secure the frame, capped off by a David kill.

Ethan Champlin returns a serve. The junior outside hitter, alongside senior outside hitter Alex Knight and redshirt senior libero Troy Gooch made up a strong passing back row that limited the Hawai’i offense. (Ethan Manafi/Daily Bruin staff)

Plagued by errors from the service line and in open play in the second set, the Bruins righted the ship and maintained the lead for most of the frame. Relieved by further errors, the Rainbow Warriors’ attempt at a comeback would tie up the game at 23-23 and lead to another extended frame.

Engaged in another deep overtime set, UCLA’s longest frame of the season ended in a 33-31 defeat. Giving up nine service and six attacking errors, the Bruins let a six-point lead slip away.

Despite the defeat, UCLA players and coaches maintained an energized mindset in the interim period, encouraging one another and preparing for a long match.

The third frame began with the same intensity and aggression as the previous two, with both teams eager to take the advantage in set count. Sending multiple players on the block, UCLA extended several rallies and forced attack errors from Hawai’i. Rising up to contest Hawai’i’s outside hitter Chaz Galloway at the net, freshman setter Andrew Rowan earned a solo block, putting UCLA up 20-15. The AVCA Newcomer of the Year continued to effectively distribute the ball, tallying 60 assists in his first NCAA tournament final appearance.

With the lead in hand, UCLA struggled to put the frame to bed as Hawai’i rallied for another comeback. With another clutch moment, redshirt senior middle blocker J.R. Norris IV answered the moment with two kills at the death. Hitting for a team-high .727, Norris’ eight kills often came down the stretch when his team needed him most.

“I was just trying to stay in the moment and not get too big picture,” Norris said. “I was just telling myself to be up early and do anything I could to help out the team.”

Redshirt senior J.R. Norris IV elevates for a kill. The middle blocker totaled eight on the night, hitting at a team-high .727 clip. (Ethan Manafi/Daily Bruin staff)

Resurgent after a quiet second set, David secured set point for the Bruins, adding seven more kills to his tally along the frame.

Hunting for their first NCAA title in 17 years, several UCLA players made plays to secure the trophy. Norris continued his run of form, notching four service aces in the frame.

UCLA’s winning moment came off the hands of outside hitter Ethan Champlin. Rising up amidst a decoy play, the junior tipped the ball to the Rainbow Warriors’ frontline.

Named to the 2023 NCAA All-Tournament Team were David and redshirt senior libero Troy Gooch. Knight also took home 2023 AVCA Most Outstanding Player after a 15-kill performance.

Immortalizing the year with its first conference and national title in 17 years, 2023 is be a season the Bruins will never forget.

“I dreamt about (winning the championship) a lot, and in a lot of respects I had an expectation to do so,” Speraw said. “It was anything we all ever thought about.”

Anthony Aroyan