USAC 2023-2024 Candidate Debates: Campus Events commissioner

(Courtesy of Mason Miller and Courtesy of Abdo Hussein)

By Dylan Winward

Two candidates for Undergraduate Students Association Council Campus Events commissioner attended the second of the USAC 2023-2024 candidate debates Thursday.

The USA Elections Board and the Daily Bruin co-hosted a series of debates beginning at 7 p.m. between candidates in the upcoming USAC election. Two candidates are running for the position of Campus Events Commissioner.

Abdo Hussein, a first-year business economics student with the United Bruin Movement slate, said he was running to create more transparency, diversity and mental health resources for UCLA students. He added he wants to host open public forums and open new channels of communication to foster transparency.

Hussein also said he wanted to engage with leaders of clubs representing underrepresented communities to help understand what what kinds of events students want.

“I’m prepared to work tirelessly to bring you events that matter, foster engagement and represent diverse interests of our Bruin community,” he said.

Mason Miller, a third-year psychology and sociology student, said his experience as a member of the commission’s marketing team over the last two years will help him deliver more student-centered programming, popular entertainment and student sports on campus. He added that he hopes to improve methods for funding campus events by bringing in external sources of financial support.

“This past year, CEC has already made great strides in building our sponsorship network, and that’s something that I really want to continue next year,” he said. “I think by bringing in our own privately sourced or individually sourced funds that we can kind of use at our discretion, we’ll be able to put on bigger events not just only in terms of Bruin Bash, but just all of our events across the board.”

Students can vote in the election on MyUCLA starting May 5 at 12 p.m. and ending May 12 at 2 p.m.

Dylan Winward | Features and student life editor
Winward is the 2023-2024 features and student life editor. He was previously a News reporter for campus politics and features and student life. He is also a second-year statistics and english literature student.