Thursday, May 9, 2024

USAC 2023-2024 Candidate Debates: External vice president

Pictured from left to right are Eva Jussim and Hiyab Misghina. Jussim and Misghina are running for Undergraduate Students Association Council external vice president. (From left to right: Courtesy of Eva Jussim and Courtesy of Hiyab Misghina)

By Dylan Winward

Two candidates for Undergraduate Students Association Council external vice president attended the first of the USAC 2023-2024 Candidate Debates on Wednesday.

The USA Elections Board and the Daily Bruin co-hosted a series of debates beginning at 7 p.m. between candidates in the upcoming USAC election. Two candidates are running for the position of external vice president.

Eva Jussim, a third-year political science student, said she hopes to use her three years of experience, which includes serving as a chief of staff for the external vice president and an organizing director for the University of California Student Association, to help lobby for student interests within the state and federal governments.

Jussim said she wants to bring students to multiple levels of government, advocating for UCLA students’ interests by coordinating with the UC Student Association and Westwood leaders. She said she plans to use her position to improve funding for student advocacy initiatives.

“I’ve seen the extent to which underrepresented voices are marginalized in those spaces, but because of my three years of experience in them, I know how they can be changed for the better,” she said.

Hiyab Misghina, a third-year political science student, said she hopes to provide better access to USAC for students, particularly those from marginalized communities. She added that her past and current experience with community service and engagement will help her bring empathy to the external vice president’s office.

She added that she has the experience to properly meet the needs of all communities, particularly those who are underrepresented at UCLA.

“I’ve seen the obstacles underrepresented communities go through,” she said. “I’ve been by them every single part of my life. And that’s something that I will ensure for all students.”

Students can vote in the election on MyUCLA starting Friday at noon and ending May 12 at 2 p.m.

Dylan Winward | Features and student life editor
Winward is the 2023-2024 features and student life editor. He was previously a News reporter for campus politics and features and student life. He is also a second-year statistics and english literature student.
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]