Dorian Thompson-Robinson selected by Cleveland Browns in 5th round of 2023 NFL Draft

Dorian Thompson-Robinson drops back to throw a pass. The former UCLA football quarterback was selected with the No. 140 overall pick in the fifth round of the 2023 NFL Draft on Saturday. (Joseph Jimenez/Assistant Photo editor)

By Sam Settleman

This post was updated April 30 at 9:03 p.m.

One of the top quarterbacks in UCLA history is Cleveland bound.

UCLA football five-year starting quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson was selected by the Cleveland Browns as the No. 140 overall pick in the fifth round of the 2023 NFL Draft on Saturday morning. He was the 10th quarterback selected in the draft.

Thompson-Robinson opted to return to the Bruins for a fifth year in 2022 instead of turning pro a season ago, generating Heisman buzz as he led UCLA to a 6-0 start. The Bruins ultimately finished 9-4 in Thompson-Robinson’s final season, earning a bowl appearance for the first time since 2017.

UCLA increased its win total in every season since 2018 when Thompson-Robinson earned his first start in blue and gold. In his freshman year, the Bruins went just 3-9, but the signal-caller flashed potential as a true freshman.

He had a breakout season as a senior in 2021, throwing 21 touchdowns to just six interceptions as UCLA went 8-4 with the top offense in the Pac-12. But Thompson-Robinson wanted one more chance in a UCLA jersey, returning to Westwood for a fifth and final season in 2022.

Completing nearly 70% of his passes with 27 passing touchdowns while tacking on 645 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns on the ground, he helped lead the Bruins to their first nine-win season since 2014. In the process, Thompson-Robinson became the program’s all-time leading passer.

Now, with his day three selection, Thompson-Robinson becomes the first UCLA quarterback to hear his name called at the NFL Draft since Josh Rosen was taken 10th overall in 2018.

The Browns’ current quarterback room is headlined by three-time Pro Bowler Deshaun Watson, with veteran Joshua Dobbs and third-year pro Kellen Mond behind him. Thompson-Robinson will have a chance to compete for the second spot behind Watson in his rookie season.

Sam Settleman | Sports editor
Settleman was the 2022-2023 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and gymnastics beats. He was previously an assistant editor on the gymnastics, women's soccer, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the gymnastics and women's water polo beats.