Former UCLA Health gynecologist James Heaps sentenced to 11 years in prison

Former UCLA gynecologist James Heaps is pictured in court Wednesday. Heaps was sentenced to 11 years in state prison and currently faces more than 500 sexual misconduct lawsuits related to his time at UCLA. (Christine Kao/Daily Bruin staff)

By Justin Jung

Former UCLA gynecologist James Heaps was sentenced to 11 years in state prison for felony sexual battery and penetration Wednesday.

Heaps was convicted on three counts of sexual battery by fraud and two counts of sexual exploitation of an unconscious victim on Oct. 20. He was also acquitted on seven counts of sexual misconduct, and the jury did not reach a decision on nine counts.

[Related: Former UCLA gynecologist James Heaps found guilty of sexual misconduct]

Heaps was a UCLA Health gynecologist and David Geffen School of Medicine faculty member from 1989 until 2018. He currently faces more than 500 sexual misconduct lawsuits related to his time as a UCLA gynecologist, and the University of California has settled cases against Heaps amounting to nearly $700 million.

As part of his sentence, Heaps was ordered by Judge Michael D. Carter to register as a sex offender, provide a DNA sample and pay restitution and court fees.

The court considered Heaps’ standing as a medical professional and the impact on victims in its ruling.

Heaps’ lawyers said in court that they intend to file an appeal.

Heaps will next appear in court May 11 for a motion to grant his release on bail pending his appeal and Aug. 7 for a restitution setting hearing.

Contributing reports by Christine Kao, Daily Bruin staff.

Justin Jung | News senior staff
Jung is a senior staff reporter and a photographer for the Bruin. He was a 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics and city and crime beats. Jung was also the 2020-2021 assistant Enterprise editor. Jung is a fourth-year global studies student.