Riding on Big Ten win, UCLA rowing prepares to go against Loyola Marymount

The team rows across the water. UCLA will face LMU on Saturday. (Myka Fromm/Daily Bruin)

Rowing

LMU
Saturday, 11:45 a.m.

UCLA boathouse
No TV info

By Ira Gorawara

For the first time this season, the Bruins will bring the regatta to their Boathouse.

Following a two-week intermission since the last time Bruin boats hit the water, UCLA rowing (0-1) will host Loyola Marymount at the UCLA Boathouse on Saturday. It’s the first time the blue and gold will take to the waters at its aquatic center in Marina del Rey in 2023.

With a roster that includes 19 freshmen, it’ll be the first time the newcomers compete in their school’s own facility.

The transition to unfamiliar waters will barely be a test to the freshman class, who, according to coach Previn Chandraratna, have demonstrated ease in adapting and in absorbing new information.

“There’s a lot of excitement about the youth of a team,” Chandraratna said. “They bring a lot of energy, a lot of upward trajectory when it comes to sponging in information and adapting to unforeseen circumstances, transforming the culture rapidly.”

Last year’s regatta against LMU saw a UCLA victory, as it cruised past its opponents in all four events with a solid cushion of time on each. Alongside two varsity eight crews, the Bruins raced four varsity four crews.

According to junior port Mia Glinn, success against LMU will emerge from execution in all aspects of their race and building on their well-established base rhythm.

“We have got a really solid base rhythm now that Previn has worked really hard to make sure translates all the way through the squad,” Glinn said. “Now we need to make sure we are putting together solid starts, strong moves and a solid spring to the end to complement that base rhythm that we have, executing all aspects of the race to our best ability.”

The regatta comes on the heels of a successful Big Ten Invitational in which the Bruins earned multiple first-place finishes. A straight sweep of both varsity four and both varsity eight events on the morning of day one gave UCLA the positivity and confidence it needed throughout the invitational as it concluded the weekend with two more top-two finishes.

After the performance at the Big Ten Invitational, Chandraratna said the basics are what’s important as the team prepares to face Loyola Marymount.

“We need to go back to work,” Chandraratna said. “Rowing is not a complicated sport, it’s blade placement, it’s pulling hard, it’s working together and we are going to do a lot of that in the coming days.”

The Bruins have centered their focus in training, aiming to master the technicals and executing the simple aspects of the sport.

“Rowing is a very simple sport, Previn says it everyday, it’s very simple,” said senior port Olivia Caesar. “We have just got to be technically on point and as good as we can possibly be. We just have to get fitter, sharpen technically and polishing those lineups to make sure that we are executing every time we go out in the water.”

The Bruins meet the Lions at 11:45 a.m. on Saturday at the UCLA Boathouse.

Ira Gorawara | Assistant Sports editor
Gorawara is a 2023-2024 assistant Sports editor on the men's volleyball, women's volleyball, men's tennis and rowing beats and is a Copy contributor. She was previously a reporter on the men's volleyball and rowing beats. She is also a second-year communication and economics student.