Saturday, May 18, 2024

UCLA baseball looks to build momentum again into upcoming UC Davis series

Senior right-hander Charles Harrison reaches back as he delivers a pitch. Harrison lowered his season ERA to 0.86 after two shutout frames against Pepperdine on Tuesday. (Joseph Crosby/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Baseball

UC Davis
Friday, 6 p.m.

Jackie Robinson Stadium
UCLA Live Stream-3
UC Davis
Saturday, 2 p.m.

Jackie Robinson Stadium
UCLA Live Stream-3
UC Davis
Sunday, 1 p.m.

Jackie Robinson Stadium
UCLA Live Stream-3

By Benjamin Royer

A break from Pac-12 action could give the Bruins a break from the pressure of standings-shifting contests.

But sophomore shortstop Cody Schrier said their opponent’s conference isn’t on their minds.

“We’re taking this weekend like it’s a Pac-12 weekend,” Schrier said. “We’re not going to change anything because it’s our bye week. We’re going to go out there, compete and try and get some momentum rolling into that USC series next weekend.”

Before the back half of conference play gets underway, No. 22 UCLA baseball (19-9-1, 8-5-1 Pac-12) will host UC Davis (11-17, 3-9 Big West) at Jackie Robinson Stadium for its final nonconference series of the season.

Despite falling to West Coast Conference foe Pepperdine in walk-off fashion Tuesday, the Bruins will attempt to return to the win column against the second-to-last-place Aggies.

Coach John Savage said getting back into the winning mentality revolves around the freshmen and sophomores of the squad.

“We got a bunch of young guys on the roster,” Savage said. “They’re going to start getting opportunities, and we’ll just look to bounce back this weekend.”

Freshman outfielders Keenan Proctor and Jarrod Hocking have had their share of opportunities with injuries ravaging UCLA’s infield and outfield as of late.

Hocking played in the Bruins’ last five games – temporarily moving to second base with junior third baseman Kyle Karros injured – and started in left field Tuesday, scoring the game-tying run on a safety squeeze in the ninth inning.

On the pitching side, freshman right-handers Michael Barnett, Finn McIlroy and Cody Delvecchio have appeared as high-leverage bullpen pieces in weekend action, combining for 63.1 innings in their first season in Westwood.

However, all three rookies allowed runs against Pepperdine.

Senior right-hander Charles Harrison – who appears primarily in a set-up role – said late-inning relievers have earned their opportunities in spite of Tuesday’s results.

“It’s a testament to those guys that are pitching later in innings and holding the game where it is to give our offense the best shot at winning those games,” Harrison said. “Just to try and give our team the best shot of winning.”

In five of UCLA’s past nine games, the Bruins have allowed eight or more runs, giving up double digits three times.

Junior right-hander Jake Brooks reached six innings against Utah on Friday, but a week earlier at Washington State, he could not get out of the fourth inning. Meanwhile, sophomore right-hander Alonzo Tredwell is building back up from injury.

The 6-foot-8 starting pitcher tossed 90 or more pitches in his first four starts of the campaign, even eclipsing 100 against Oregon. But since returning from an injury spell on April 2, Tredwell only reached 67 and 73 pitches, respectively, against the Cougars and Utes.

Despite the pitching staff’s recent inconsistent nature, Harrison said the series against UC Davis is another chance to get rolling.

“We just got to build some momentum up for these next few weeks,” Harrison said. “Take one game at a time, one pitch at a time and just compete together, trying to string together a few wins.”

UCLA will host UC Davis for three games starting Friday night at 6 p.m. at Jackie Robinson Stadium.

Benjamin Royer | Assistant Sports editor
Royer is the 2023-2024 Assistant Sports editor on the baseball, gymnastics and men's water polo beats and a reporter on the football beat. He was previously a staff writer on the baseball, football and gymnastics beats. He is also a fourth-year communication student.