Copy Chief Isabelle Friedman appointed as 2023-2024 editor in chief

Isabelle Friedman, the newly appointed editor in chief of the Daily Bruin, sits in front of Kerckhoff Hall with a copy of the Bruin. (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

By Mallory Cooper and Rio Wakura

Correction: The original version of this post incorrectly stated Samira Singleton is the Communications Board vice chair. In fact, she is the Communications Board chair.

This post was updated April 16 at 5:33 p.m.

The Associated Students UCLA Communications Board appointed Copy Chief Isabelle Friedman as Daily Bruin’s editor in chief for the 2023-2024 academic year Monday.

Friedman, a third-year public affairs student, became a Copy intern in January 2021 and has been a senior staff member in the Sports section since October 2021. She’s written stories on star gymnasts, such as Jordan Chiles, and members of the national championship-winning women’s soccer team.

Friedman received the Daily Bruin staff endorsement in the annual staff-wide editor in chief hearing Saturday. The Communications Board, which consists of student appointees, university faculty, alumni representatives and other at-large members, expressed support for Friedman’s focus on diversity and hoped that she would bring her experiences from inside and outside the newsroom to the paper.

“We haven’t seen anyone like her who has done phenomenal work in the past and just the experiences that she’s had on campus and off campus as well,” said Samira Singleton, the board’s chair. “We hope to have Isabelle continue on that representation and actually implement diversity that’s needed within a student-run organization.”

Alumni Director Kaiya Pomeroy-Tso, a fourth-year communication and human biology and society student, was last year’s Copy chief and hired Friedman as a slot editor after she worked as a Copy intern. Pomeroy-Tso said Friedman was always passionate about her work at The Bruin, adding that her positivity has been an asset to the success of the section.

Pomeroy-Tso said she also looks forward to seeing Friedman’s organized and detailed-oriented leadership style. In her application and the hearing, Friedman expressed commitment to encouraging more cross-section collaboration and a more efficient hiring process.

Kelsey Friedman, Isabelle’s mother, said Isabelle has always been enthusiastic about reading and writing. Growing up, the two would often read and recommend books to one another, she said.

“We share her articles and pass them around through all the family members,” Kelsey said. “Everybody’s just a little stunned that she’s such a good writer.”

(Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)
The Associated Students UCLA Communications Board appointed Copy Chief Isabelle Friedman as Daily Bruin’s editor in chief for the 2023-2024 academic year Monday. (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

In high school, Isabelle was also very active in student government and advocating for women’s rights, Kelsey added.

Through serving as editor in chief, Kelsey said Isabelle will have the opportunity to demonstrate her leadership abilities and further hone her skills.

Isabelle said she joined the Daily Bruin winter of her freshman year during the COVID-19 pandemic as a way to get more involved with the UCLA community. She said she found her home on campus, eventually cross-training into PRIME magazine, Opinion, Data, Outreach Photo, Arts and Sports sections.

As the current Copy chief, Isabelle said she has especially enjoyed hiring her own staff and cultivating a sense of love for The Bruin within the section.

Although Isabelle first picked up her interest in journalism in high school, she said that she did not consider pursuing writing until she started working for the Daily Bruin.

“I’ve loved especially working on features of different athletes and coaches,” Isabelle said. “It’s really fun to be able to tell those stories and have a more creative lens.”

Hannah Engel, a third-year sociology student who has been friends with Isabelle since middle school, said she admires Isabelle’s listening skills. She added that Isabelle will lead The Bruin compassionately.

“She’ll make sure to listen to others, include their voices, make sure they’re being heard and that they have a say in the decision-making,” Engel said.

Looking to the future, Isabelle said she is aiming to improve the diversity of The Bruin’s content and staff.

“The diversity in our general coverage influences how the community views us and our reputation among the community, and that influences the types of applicants we get,” Isabelle said. “It’s really important to do what we can do to address diversity both in our coverage and in our staff.”

Contributing reports from Shaanth Kodialam, features and student life editor.

Mallory Cooper
Wakura is a features contributor. She is a second-year business economics student at UCLA