Thursday, May 2, 2024

Bruins scorch Sun Devils in final away game for UCLA women’s water polo

Graduate student center Ava Johnson looks down the pool as she lifts the ball above the water. (Nicolas Greamo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Women's Water Polo

No. 19 Arizona State10

By Lexi Grimes

The Bruins recorded another conference victory in their last away game of the regular season.

No. 3 UCLA women’s water polo (18-4, 3-1 MPSF) faced off against No. 19 Arizona State (8-11, 0-4) on Saturday afternoon and emerged from the matchup with a 17-10 road win. The contest marked the last away game for the Bruins before they travel for the MPSF tournament at the end of the month.

Graduate student center Ava Johnson said securing the road win over a conference opponent will help boost the team’s confidence.

“It’s always really nice to get a huge win away,” Johnson said. “ASU is a good team, and obviously they are in our conference, so having that win over them and another win under our belt in general is always a big confidence booster for us.”

The Sun Devils got out to an early lead against the Bruins on Saturday, scoring the first two goals of the game. However, UCLA retaliated by scoring three goals in the last four minutes of the first quarter, heading into the second period with a 3-2 lead.

The Bruins were able to further extend their lead in the second quarter, recording five goals to Arizona State’s three. The third quarter proved to be the most dominant for UCLA, as they put up four more points and were able to hold the Sun Devils to only one goal.

The Bruins finished off the match with five more goals in the fourth quarter to secure another tally in the win column. UCLA had six different players scoring multiple goals in the matchup, and Johnson tied with freshman attacker Taylor Smith for the team lead in scoring with three goals on the day.

Saturday’s matchup also saw freshman goalkeeper Izzy Rosensitto make her third appearance of the season late in the fourth quarter. Rosensitto allowed one goal but recorded two saves.

Johnson said UCLA’s scouting of Arizona State helped them during the contest.

“ASU runs a different type of defense than most teams,” Johnson said. “Heading into this game, we knew that with their full defense back in the zone we were going to have to either attack quickly and attack early and often with our centers, or really take our time and not shoot quick when they’re all back with their blocks up.”

The Bruins have two more games in the regular season before they compete in the MPSF tournament, with the contests set to be played at home in Spieker Aquatics Center. Graduate student utility Katrina Drake said the team is looking forward to finishing off their regular season in front of the Bruin faithful.

“For the next two home games it will be nice to have a home crowd,” Drake said. “It’s always exciting to play at home, especially in front of our fans. We do have the home-court advantage, so we are not letting other teams come into our house and think that they can run the show.”

The Bruins will continue their season with a home match against No. 5 California on Saturday at 1 p.m.

Lexi Grimes | Sports reporter
Grimes is currently a Sports reporter on the men's soccer beat. She was previously a contributor on the beach volleyball, men's soccer and women's volleyball beats.