Campos brings UCLA women’s golf to third-place finish at Silverado Showdown

Sophomore Zoe Antoinette Campos holds her trophy after winning the Silverado Showdown. (Courtesy of Alicia Um Holmes/UCLA Athletics)

WOMEN'S GOLF

Silverado Showdown

Third place (+18, 882)

By Keshav Siddhartha

The Pac-12 Women’s Golfer of the Week won her second collegiate tournament in as many chances.

Fresh off her individual win at the Anuenue Spring Break Classic in Maui, Hawaii, sophomore Zoe Antoinette Campos led No. 24 UCLA women’s golf to a third-place finish at the Silverado Showdown, winning her second tournament of the season with a final score of 5-under 211. Campos shot a 1-under 71 on the final day of the three-day tournament, finishing two strokes ahead of second place on the individual leaderboard.

“The course itself is already super difficult – the fairways are super tight. … The main thing was that I was able to hit a lot of fairways which allowed me a lot of birdie chances,” Campos said. “I’m super proud of myself and the team for how we handled the course.”

For Campos, her individual victory gives her an automatic entry into the LPGA Chevron Championship.

As a team, the Bruins were unable to overcome a winning performance from No. 14 Northwestern, who finished 9-over 873, seven strokes ahead of second-place No. 5 Texas A&M and nine strokes ahead of UCLA.

Also helping bolster the overall team finish, sophomore Caroline Canales shot a 2-under 70 on the final day to jump 16 spots on the leaderboard and finish at 3-over 219 for the tournament, good for seventh place.

“Personally for me, I didn’t start off on a great note, … but I was able to recover well and improve as the days went on,” Canales said. “So it was nice to sort of bounce back from that poor start.”

Both Campos and Canales share the team lead with six different top-10 finishes each over the course of the entire season.

Both Campos and Canales were supported by redshirt sophomore Alessia Nobilio, who finished tied for 35th place with a 12-over 228, senior Yuki Yoshihara, who finished tied for 46th place with a 14-over 230, and senior Annabel Wilson, who tied for 66th place with a 17-over 233.

The Bruins started tied for fourth place after shooting a 6-over 294 along with USC on day one. The blue and gold finished a stroke better on day two and three strokes better on day three than the Trojans, securing a four-stroke margin ahead of its crosstown rival to secure a third-place finish.

The Bruins finished first among all Pac-12 teams competing, an important distinction as UCLA will have the chance to win the Pac-12 championship in Tempe later this month. The Bruins – who last won the Pac-12 championship when they went back-to-back in 2017 and 2018 – have won seven conference titles overall since the tournament was started in 1987 and will be looking to add to the trophy cabinet in a couple of weeks.

Canales said her goal for the team to succeed moving forward is to emphasize consistency.

“This was a nice finish for our team. We have kind of struggled the past couple of months, so coming in third in this event in a really strong field was definitely moving in the right direction,” Canales said. “We really need consistent scores. … We definitely have the talent and abilities to do it. We just need to put the work in leading up to the event.”

UCLA will return to action for postseason play April 17 in Tempe.

Keshav Siddhartha