Thursday, May 2, 2024

In a 3-game series against Utah, UCLA baseball seeks to improve home record

Sophomore right-hander Luke Jewett strides in his delivery. Jewett hurled 5.1 scoreless innings in Tuesday’s win over Long Beach State. (Joseph Crosby/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Baseball

Utah
Thursday, 6 p.m.

Jackie Robinson Stadium
UCLA Live Stream-3
Utah
Friday, 5 p.m.

Jackie Robinson Stadium
UCLA Live Stream-3
Utah
Saturday, noon

Jackie Robinson Stadium
UCLA Live Stream-3

By Benjamin Royer

On the mend and back at their home confines, the Bruins will return to conference action after snapping a five-game losing streak.

No. 23 UCLA baseball (17-8, 6-5 Pac-12) will host conference bottom-dwellers Utah (11-16, 3-9) in a three-game series at Jackie Robinson Stadium after picking up its first win since March 24 in midweek action Tuesday. The blue and gold has dropped four out of five of its last Pac-12 contests and will have the chance to flip the trend against the Utes beginning Thursday.

Coach John Savage said the upcoming series gives the Bruins an opportunity to refocus the program for the back half of the campaign.

“We’ve been struggling,” Savage said. “It’s all about us, and it’s all about building our identity back up and playing through the baseball. That’s what we’re looking forward to doing this weekend.”

Allowing a baserunner in each of his last nine outings, sophomore right-hander Luke Jewett is trying to bounce back from a 5.89 earned run average to start the season.

The Bruins’ closer tossed a career-high 5.1 innings Tuesday and secured a second consecutive scoreless appearance out of the bullpen.

Jewett said he is hoping for the team’s win tally to increase in front of the Jackie Robinson Stadium crowd.

“I’m really looking forward to getting back in the winning column with a Pac-12 series,” Jewett said. “Getting back into the win column was huge overall, but getting some wins back from a Pac-12 foe would be huge to get back in the running of things.”

UCLA won two out of three against Utah in 2022, and so far in the new year, the Utes have encountered similar results against nonconference and conference foes alike.

Utah was shut out twice at home against USC but is coming off of a series-ending victory before flying to Los Angeles. The Utes have only won one series this season, sweeping a doubleheader against Northern Colorado – a team that has won just four games in 2023.

Despite Utah’s record, sophomore infielder Duce Gourson said the Bruins are entering the series with the same mentality as they did in their previous home matchups against Arizona and Washington.

“We know what we can do, just shut it down at home,” Gourson said. “We’ve been really good at home this year. Just sticking with that, letting the game come to us, not trying to do too much with guys out.”

Savage received two players back from absences, both of whom made their official season debuts against Long Beach State.

Sophomore left-hander Ethan Flanagan was originally slotted to appear as the Sunday starter heading into the season but was shut down because of a left arm injury before Opening Day. The southpaw is being ramped up now that he is healthy and hurled one inning out of the bullpen Tuesday.

Offensively, freshman outfielder Keenan Proctor started in right field after making his collegiate debut pinch-running against Washington almost two weeks ago. The Colorado native collected the first RBI of his career and helped the Bruins win 4-3 over the Dirtbags.

But with some players returning, another Bruin is possibly out.

Senior outfielder/left-hander Josh Hahn left Tuesday’s game after appearing to injure his knee while pinch-hitting in the ninth inning.

“We just hope that he landed funny,” Savage said. “We’re hoping there’s no structural damage.”

The action will begin at Jackie Robinson Stadium on Thursday at 6 p.m.

Benjamin Royer | Assistant Sports editor
Royer is the 2023-2024 Assistant Sports editor on the baseball, gymnastics and men's water polo beats and a reporter on the football beat. He was previously a staff writer on the baseball, football and gymnastics beats. He is also a fourth-year communication student.

Room in Brentwood private home, prefer Asian female. $950. Furnished, wifi, walking 5minutes to public transport, shops, restaurant etc. skho99@gmail.com