Thursday, May 2, 2024

LA Metro construction to close lanes in Westwood through Friday

Construction of the Purple (D-Line) Extension Transit Project is pictured. Los Angeles Metro will restrict lane access around Wilshire Boulevard between Westwood Boulevard and Gayley Avenue through Friday as construction crews service a conduit and duct bank. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Matthew Royer

Lane access around Wilshire Boulevard between Westwood Boulevard and Gayley Avenue will be restricted from Monday through Friday as construction for the Los Angeles Metro continues.

Metro is conducting two construction projects in the Westwood area to connect UCLA’s campus with other regions of LA, including downtown LA and the San Fernando Valley. The Purple (D-Line) Extension Transit Project, which would connect Westwood to downtown, is in the process of completing the construction of two stations in Westwood – one of which will be located at the intersection of Wilshire Boulevard and Westwood Boulevard and the other at the West LA Veterans Affairs Medical Center.

From Monday through Friday, Metro is scheduled to inspect and service a conduit and duct bank – a step necessary to continue construction on the Westwood/UCLA station – on Wilshire Boulevard westbound between Westwood Boulevard and Gayley Avenue.

Lanes on westbound Wilshire will be restricted to three lanes, according to Metro. The No. 1 lane will be closed on Wilshire between Westwood and Gayley. The left-turn pockets at the intersections of Westwood and Gayley on Wilshire westbound will also be closed. Metro may also put other restrictions into effect from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. as needed, the update added.

Metro added that parking restrictions will be implemented based on the immediate area of construction.

Unrestricted access will be provided to driveways, residences and businesses unless notified otherwise, according to Metro, while emergency responder access will be maintained throughout the construction zones, and access for pedestrians will be maintained outside of the construction zone.

Additionally, ongoing construction of dewatering well risers and laterals to support construction for the Purple (D-Line) Extension Transit Project will also restrict traffic and street parking until Friday, according to Metro.

The traffic restrictions include eastbound lanes on Wilshire Boulevard between Sepulveda Boulevard and Gayley Avenue, southbound lanes on Gayley Avenue between Kinross Avenue and Wilshire Boulevard and the closure of the west crosswalk on Wilshire and Gayley.

Northbound lanes on Midvale and Gayley avenues will remain open, Metro added.

According to Metro, utility and storm drain work will also require additional evening road restrictions until April 30.

Matthew Royer | National news and higher education editor
Royer is the 2023-2024 national news and higher education editor. He is also a Sports staff writer on the men’s soccer and softball beats. He was previously the 2022-2023 city and crime editor and a contributor on the features and student life beat. He is also a fourth-year political science student minoring in labor studies from West Hills, California.