UCLA men’s basketball’s Jaylen Clark to miss postseason with Achilles injury

Junior guard Jaylen Clark holds a pair of crutches on the bench. Clark will miss the rest of the UCLA men’s basketball season with an Achilles injury sustained Saturday. (Jeremy Chen/Assistant Photo editor)

By Jon Christon

Jaylen Clark will miss the rest of the season with an Achilles injury, according to a report from Stadium’s Jeff Goodman on Wednesday. 

The junior guard hurt his lower right leg in a noncontact play in No. 2 UCLA men’s basketball’s win over No. 8 Arizona on Saturday. Coach Mick Cronin said Tuesday that Clark would miss this week’s Pac-12 tournament, but that he was not authorized to share any more about the injury. 

Clark’s official diagnosis and a projected injury timetable are still unknown. 

UCLA will have to replace Clark’s 13 points and 30.5 minutes per game, the team’s second- and third-best marks, respectively. Clark was awarded the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year on Tuesday morning and leads the conference with 2.6 steals per game. 

Fifth-year guard David Singleton is projected to take Clark’s spot in the starting lineup for postseason play, with freshman guard Dylan Andrews, redshirt freshman guard Will McClendon and freshman guard/forward Abramo Canka all set to see an increase in playing time

UCLA will begin its postseason run without Clark on Thursday in a quarterfinal Pac-12 tournament matchup.

Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.