UCLA football coach Chip Kelly signs contract extension through 2027

UCLA football coach Chip Kelly stands on the field before a game against California in 2022. Kelly signed an extension with the program through 2027 on Friday. (Jeremy Chen/Assistant Photo editor)

By Sam Settleman

UCLA football is sticking with its head coach for a couple more years after its first nine-win season since 2014.

UCLA athletic director Martin Jarmond announced Friday morning that coach Chip Kelly has signed a contract extension through 2027. Kelly wrapped up his fifth season in Westwood with his highest win total since taking over at the helm of the Bruins in 2018.

Kelly’s previous contract was slated to run through Dec. 15, 2025, with the new deal taking the coach through the early years of UCLA’s move to the Big Ten in 2024.

“I am excited about our football program under the leadership of Coach Kelly and his talented staff,” Jarmond said in a statement released Friday. “The football program is on an upward trajectory, both on the field and in the classroom.”

The announcement comes four days after UCLA officially announced the hire of D’Anton Lynn as its new defensive coordinator Monday, alongside other title changes on its staff.

[Related: D’Anton Lynn announced as UCLA football’s new defensive coordinator]

In each of his five seasons with UCLA, Kelly has increased his winning percentage, culminating in the Bruins’ first nine-win season in eight years in 2022. The blue and gold rose as high as No. 9 in the AP Poll a season ago before dropping back-to-back games against Arizona and USC and losing three of its last four, finishing with a defeat in the Sun Bowl to Pittsburgh.

Known for his prowess on the offensive end, Kelly led UCLA to the fourth-best total offense in the nation in 2022, with the Bruins averaging over 500 yards per game for the first time in program history. The nearly 40 points per game for the blue and gold largely came from a ground game that put up 237.2 yards per contest.

Kelly and UCLA will lose many of their top options heading into 2023, however. Running back Zach Charbonnet, the leader of the Bruins’ rushing attack, is NFL Draft bound, while quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson will also depart for the pros after five years with the program.

Sam Settleman | Sports editor
Settleman was the 2022-2023 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and gymnastics beats. He was previously an assistant editor on the gymnastics, women's soccer, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the gymnastics and women's water polo beats.