Seeking vengeance, UCLA men’s tennis prepares to face crosstown rival USC

Sophomore Alexander Hoogmartens (left) and junior Timothy Li (right) play a point during a doubles match. UCLA men’s tennis will face crosstown rival No. 8 USC on Wednesday afternoon. (Jeremy Chen/Assistant Photo editor)

Men's Tennis

No. 8 USC
Wednesday, 3 p.m.

Los Angeles Tennis Center
UCLA Tennis-1

By Garrison Hallum

The Bruins are set to compete against a rival foe, with an opportunity to avenge an early season loss.

UCLA men’s tennis (5-1) will look to exact revenge against crosstown rival No. 8 USC (7-3) on Wednesday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center, where the Bruins have not lost all year. The Trojans bested the blue and gold 4-0 earlier in the season.

Since that sweeping defeat, UCLA has beat both Portland and UC Irvine at home, and will now have a chance to extend its unbeaten 4-0 home record.

Coach Billy Martin said the rivalry matchup tends to push all players towards competing at a high level.

“We generally bring out the best in both teams as far as competing well,” Martin said. “We just have to make sure that we are consistent mentally throughout the match.”

The Bruins have not competed since Feb. 11, following a postponement of their home matchup against Gonzaga. UCLA has also had to alter its normal practice routine due to recent storms in the Los Angeles region.

Martin said despite having to limit practice because of the rain, he knows USC has been dealing with the same struggles.

“It’s been a funny time for both teams, I’m sure, in that we haven’t been able to practice the last five or six days because of the rain,” Martin said. “But it is the same for both teams so we are not at a super big disadvantage.”

Junior Timothy Li will enter Wednesday’s rivalry matchup having won his three previous finished doubles matchups. Li and sophomore teammate Alexander Hoogmartens were unable to finish their last doubles matchup against USC due to the match being clinched already.

Li said he is excited to play rival USC again, especially with the home environment.

“It is kind of something you dream of as a UCLA player,” Li said. “After the tough match last time, we are ready to get back out there and show them what we’re about.”

After turning in a winning effort in both singles and doubles competition against Irvine two weeks ago, freshman Aadarsh Tripathi will have the opportunity to replicate his performance.

Tripathi said the excitement surrounding the UCLA and USC rivalry has energized him going into the matchup.

“I am more fired up than usual, it is a big rivalry across the nation, and I am ready to bring my A-game tomorrow,” Tripathi said. “This is our turf, and these are our courts. We are comfortable playing here, and they aren’t.”

First serve from the Los Angeles Tennis Center is set for 3 p.m. on Wednesday.

Garrison Hallum | Sports contributors
Hallum is currently a contributor on the track & field and swim & dive beats.